Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I’ve been vaping for about a year on and off and I have

Customer Question
Hey so I’ve been...

Hey so I’ve been vaping for about a year on and off and I have asthma I just quit and was wondering if my lungs will ever be the same or repair and if things are going to get easier I’m a little overweight also I’m wondering what I can do to help my heath and be able to functions easier

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No I have not seen a doctor yet with Christmas right now and just ADHD medication

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Focalin 10 mg 20mg and no not allergic to anything

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
12/25/2017
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

Smoke is one of the most common and important TRIGGER for asthma.

If yo have decided to quit, this will be considered the most important step for you to control and improve asthma.

Once this TRIGGER is gone, you will stay more in remission and hence there will be less lung injury and inflammation.

will my body heal since I just quit and if I stay away from vaping can my body lungs and throat heal in time
then my lungs and throat will heal and how long will it take for those to heal

And for sure you will feel the positive impact of cessation on your asthma with time, which include less attacks, less frequency of symptoms, and less requirement of inhalers.

Stopping smoke inhalation will benefit you immediately, but It will take at least 4 to 6 weeks before you start feeling further better.

how long can I expect until I have less symptoms such as heavy breathing and shortness of breath

As I mentioned few weeks to months.

Was it helpful?

by quoting and not vaping that much and only a year off and on my lungs still have hope to repair correct since I am quitting right now and haven’t been vaping for that long

Yes, for sure this will benefit your lungs in repairing and healing and improving the functionality

Thank you

Good luck

Please do not forget to give 5 Star Rating to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.