Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I need help in determining what may cause a false positive…

I need help in determining...
I need help in determining what may cause a false positive for methamphetamine on a hair follicle drug test. I am not a drug user and I may lose my dream job opportunity due to this. The MRO is not answering my concerns or looking over my medication and medical history. Please help.
My current medications and medical history for the past 90 days is as follows:
Prescription Medications:
• Venlafaxine HCI ER (generic for Effexor XR)
- 225 mg once daily
- For anxiety
- Currently in use
• Alprazolam (generic for Xanax)
- 1-3 mg daily & as needed
- For panic attacks/anxiety
- Currently in use
• Albuterol inhaler
- 90 mcg /2 times daily and as needed
- For asthma/breathing
- Currently in use
• Trazadone
- 150 mg (as needed)
- For insomnia
- Used within last 3 months about 15 times
Ranitidine HCI (generic for Zantac)
- 150 mg (2x daily)
- For acid reflux
- Used within last 3 months (Oct & Nov)
• Nasonex Nasal Suspension
- 50 mcg/act
- For nasal congestion/sinus pressure
- Currently in use
• Cephalexin 500mg
- 500 mg
- 3x daily until gone
- For bladder infection
- Currently in use
OTC & Herbal Supplements:
• Melatonin
- 5 mg (1 nightly)
- For sleep aid
- Currently in use
• Sudafed 12 Hour Pressure+Pain
- Naproxen (220mg) & Pseudoephedrine (120mg)
- Once daily
- For allergies
- Currently in use
• Ma Huang Herbal Pills
- Ephedra (50 mg) & Topiramate (50 mg)
- 2x daily
- For weight loss
- Stopped use in November due to negative side effects
• Advil
- 200 mg, 2-3 pills (as needed)
- For headaches, menstrual cramps, muscle pain
- As needed
In the last 3 months, the only health related issues I’ve had are a kidney infection, infection from an open wound, and an urinary tract infection.
My Christmas is ruined and I am unable to sleep. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. This job is my future and I can't lose it for something I never did. I'm devastated.
12/25/2017
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I included an article about false positive for drug testing.

it shows that zantac (ranitidine) can cause false positive for methamphetamine testing.

you take trazodone which can cause false positive as well.

Thank you son much. Does this apply to hair follicle drug testing as well? I don't understand why the MRO doesn't have this knowledge.

yes, this can apply to hair follicle testing as well.

you should read the article and show it to your MRO

ask them if they did confirmatory testing with MS/GC confirmatory testing

How much would it cost to get a letter from a doctor stating this information?

we can't write letters for clients here

but you can print out that article I sent to you.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

I will most definitely provide 5 stars and refer you. One last question, if they did confirmatory testing with MS/GC confirmatory testing, what will that show? Can that prove my position?

if you didn't use meth drugs, then your confirmatory testing will be negative.

Thank you Dr. David. You've truly helped me feel so much more at ease.

you are welcome

I'm glad I could help

do you see the ratings area?

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Hi Dr. David,
Thanks for your help with this question thread. I had a discsussion with my recruiter and the Human Resources lead at the company pending to hire me. Since the MRO for the hair follicle drug testing hasn't been very responsive or cooperative in helping me with this serious situation, I am writing to ask if you could help me find a clinical study or evaluation like you did before, but specifically on hair follicle false-positive results. Also, the company sounds like they may accept any medical studies and information I provide, but they require "proof" that I actually discussed this with a licensed professional/physician. Can you please provide me with your full name and medical licensing or certification information? It's only for them to have on record in order to allow the hiring process to be completed. This is so huge for me. I have been sick with the flu and a mess from the stress and trauma. Please help. =(
By the way, Dr. David, I hope you and yours are having a wonderful Christmas/Holiday season.
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician