Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Have a chest infection for which I was given a course on 7…

Customer Question
Have a chest infection for...
Have a chest infection for which I was given a course on 7 days antibiotics on Wednesday last (Dec 20th). Cough is improving but bubbling on chest remains. Biggest problem is cannot lay down to sleep! Need to sit upright which is not giving me a proper sleep pattern. What should I do please?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
12/25/2017
Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 1 month ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Do you hear the bubbling closer to the throat or deeper in the chest? Also, if you could answer this second part, is it on one side that you hear the bubbling or both?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Deep in chest right hand side

So the pneumonia is deeper down. This can actually be good and the best way to manage this especially with the problem of sleeping prone is to start going for walks and tapping or rubbing the chest. We refer to this as chest physiotherapy which is where we hit the chest with a cupped hand to loosen up the mucous. We then encourage our patients to go for walks to help increase the circulation to the area and that helps absorb a lot of the mucous that's stuck deep down.

If you are under the age of 50 and safe to do so then you can also take benadryl (diphenhydramine) which helps with this as well.

I hope I provided you with a 5-star service.

Please click the rating button when you get a chance.

-Dr. Mo

Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD