Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My daughter who is a sprinter, had a fall 4 weeks ago and…

Customer Question
My daughter who is...

My daughter who is a sprinter, had a fall 4 weeks ago and had swelling on her knee but no apparent tears or breaks, since then she has competed at Nationals and other events with only minor complaints of pain managed with RICE. Last night her leg swelled up like a balloon and she cannot walk and has a fever??

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had a fever? Do you have any respiratory symptoms?

Fever started last night about 2am, no respiratory symptoms

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/25/2017
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 1 month ago

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

How high a fever?

Any redness or warmth to the knee?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Very red and warm,
the fever has gone down with panadol
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am waiting for a response?

OK

There are two possibilities for this--

A gout attack

But more worrisome would be a septic joint--an infection in the joint itself and that would account for the fever

I consider this an urgent situation and she needs to see a doctor right away for an exam, blood work and an aspiration of the joint fluid for microscopic and a culture since if that's positive she needs antibiotics for this

Please let me know if you need any more information

Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor