Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I may have a broken/bruise rib after a fall 2-3 days ago. Im…

Customer Question
I may have a...

I may have a broken/bruise rib after a fall 2-3 days ago. Im flying in 24 hour, is it safe?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Just pain when i bend, when i touch and when i cough

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

I dont really have a cough..

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I force the cough..

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
12/24/2017
Doctor: KarayanMD, Board Certified Physician replied 3 months ago
KarayanMD
KarayanMD, Board Certified Physician

Hi. Thanks for your question. I am a board certified doctor in the US.

If there is only local pain in the area, but you are not having difficulty breathing, coughing or other symptoms to suggest that the bruised or broken rib is affecting other organs such as the lungs, then I don't think there should be any risk with flying at this point.

Please let me know if there are other questions. If this has been helpful, please rate me highly. Best wishes!

It should be noted also that your risk of having a pneumothorax (air between the lung and chest wall) would be low if there are no such symptoms as I mentioned above. There is possible risk of flying in those who have pneumothorax. Pneumothorax can be caused by a fractured rib. If you wanted to be completely sure there is no pneumothorax, this could be identified with a chest Xray. Hopefully this is useful information to you. Best of luck.

Thank you! only when i force myself to cough do i have pain or when I lean forward.. or touch on the side
KarayanMD
KarayanMD
KarayanMD, Board Certified Physician