Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My insurance doesn't start till the 1st. I have had light to…

Customer Question
My insurance doesn't start...

My insurance doesn't start till the 1st. I have had light to moderate menstrual bleeding for ovwe 3 weeks. Today the bleeding became painful and i have pulled clots out of my body bigger than i ever have.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No...ur an auto bot aren't u?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
My wait time was 8 mins...its been 30.
12/24/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 3 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

I just came online and saw your question unanswered. I am sorry for it.

Any bleeding / period for more than one week warrant attention of the doctor. With starting of pain and bigger clots, you need to go to emergency room for evaluation. I can understand the huge cost, but this is necessary.

Following can be the causes of your bleeding:

1) Fibroids and polyps of uterus

2) Endometrial hyperplasia; due to high estrogen.

3) Bleeding disorders.

4) Hyperinsulinemia

5) Both hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism

6) High prolactin

7) Coagulation disorders.

8) Infections.

You may need following investigations depending on the cause:

Pelvic ultrasonography

Sonohysterography (saline-infusion sonography)

Pap smear

Hysteroscopy

Endometrial biopsy

Complete blood count (CBC)

Total iron-binding capacity

Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG)

Thyroid function tests

Prolactin level

Liver function tests

Kidney function tests

Hormone assays; Luteinizing hormone, follicle-stimulating hormone and androgen.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

5 mins ago i bled through my tampon which hasn't even been insurted for an hour. And the clot was the size of 2 silver dollars and fell out of me. That's never happened before

This duration and amount of bleeding puts you under risk of anemia and it is high time that it is investigated by an ultrasound and blood investigations.

It is privilege assisting you.

You would be prescribed cyklokapron for the excessive bleeding. You may have to be put on the hormones. Following are the options;

1) Progestins

2) Gondotropin-releasing hormone agonist; expensive

3) Danazol

4) Oral contraceptive pills

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

I went to the er little over a week ago. Didn't even spend an hour there and that doctor sent me home saying there was nothing wrong with me. Is it worth trying a different hospital? As gross as it sounds should i put the "evidence" in a bag as they are not normal sized clots? As they are huge and utterly different than i have ever seen?

You have to try different hospital.

Usually you do not need the evidence as almost all doctor will believe on the history and severity.

They need to get the hemoglobin done (blood work) to assess the blood loss.

They took a vile of blood when i was there. But i was bleeding light at that time. Would it be appropriate to request the meds that simply stops the blood flow till my insurance kicks in?

Yes, that would be the first step.

They will give you the medicines initially to stop the bleeding first.

Than the cause would be dealt appropriately.

Hope you are doing good.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Merry Christmas.

Happy Holidays.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor