Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My ears are ringing so loudly ,I've tried loud music, Xanax,

Customer Question
My ears are ringing...

My ears are ringing so loudly ,I've tried loud music, Xanax, vitamins, I can't hardly hear people talk, I put in my dead fathers hearing aids no relief. Please help

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the ear issue? Have you had any colds or flus recently?

No. It's been really bad last 2 weeks

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I used to have bad earaches as a child, its like a midrange loud hearing test

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/24/2017
Doctor: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 7 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear about your health in the form of this extremely severe, torturesome & disabling tinnitus (ringing sound in the ears). As a Neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

I see you have tried treatments such as loud music, Xanax, vitamins etc but all went in vain, so it must be extremely frustrating experience for you.

Coming to the management of this type of tinnitus, first of all please see if the cause for this tinnitus has not been identified so far - then a thorough examination in the clinic followed by certain relevant investigations can help in ascertaining the precise cause for this tinnitus and then treated accordingly. The investigations may include for example Audiometric studies, MRI scan, and any additional investigations as necessary.

In the meantime you may try one or more of the following treatments to help with getting relief from the tinnitus;

A) Medication treatment options;

Melatonin

SSRI agents like Paroxetine or Sertraline

TCA agents like Nortriptyline or Amitriptyline

Benzodiazepines like Alprazolam or Clonazepam (you have already tried Alprazolam which is Xanax)

Cyclobenzaprine

Acamposate

Ginkgo biloba

Niacin (since you have tried vitamins you may have tried this too)

Eperisone

Betahistine

Flunarizine etc

B) Non medication treatment options;

CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy)

rTMS (Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation)

Biofeedback

Acupuncture etc

The above are the various treatment options to consider, but please see not all these above mentioned treatments may be required in your case; I am trying to provide a list of the various treatment options like this so that you are familiar with several treatments that are available for helping with your health condition and you may try to use them as necessary. If you see any of the above treatments you have already tried please disregard them and you may explore the treatment options which you may have not yet tried.

If the above conservative non-surgical therapeutic interventions do not help then there are certain surgical treatment options or special procedures too are available such as the following;

Chemical labyrinthectomy with aminoglycoside antibiotic injection

Endolymphatic shunt

Resection of Cochlear or auditory nerve

Labyrinthectomy

Stapedectomy

Tympanosympathectomy etc

However majority of the patients with tinnitus do not require any surgeries, instead one or more of the above mentioned non-surgical treatments (conservative treatments) are sufficient.

I earnestly hope you find the above information & list of treatments helpful.

Wishing you a quick & complete recovery from these extremely severe, torturesome & disabling tinnitus!

And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, have you received the answer I have posted above? And have you had a chance to go through the above answer?

How are you feeling now? Have you been feeling better now?

I earnestly hope you will recover quickly & completely from this annoying, bothersome and frustrating tinnitus (ringing sound in the ears) you have been tortured with, that you had mentioned during your previous visit here.

Do you have any additional health questions? Do you want to discuss further the health concerns you have mentioned above, or any other health related concerns?

Have you tried any of the treatment options that I had mentioned earlier? If you have already tried all of these treatment options please let me know, I can make some new recommendations.

Please let me know and I am available here.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD