Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had itchy breaths for a while now, it’s not the

Customer Question
Hi! I have had...

Hi! I have had itchy breaths for a while now, it’s not the actual area of the nipple it’s more around it but more so underneath the breast. I’m just wondering if I should be calling my doctor to make an appointment or if it’s just something I can make better with moisturizer or something

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?

It’s been on and off for a few months now but past couple weeks more frequent. I haven’t tried anything yet but I know that when I do shower the hot water seams to make it less itchy

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nope nothing. She knows me being on birth control and that I do have my nipples pierced but it’s never been a huge issue before

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
12/24/2017
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

Is there any visible redness or a rash in the area of itching?

I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back. However, I am about to go to bed and before doing so, I wanted to make what answer could be made at this point.

It is true that dry skin can cause itching, but one of the common causes of itching of the breast, particularly under the breast, would be a fungal infection of the skin. A fungal skin infection, though, would usually have some redness or rash in addition to the itching, which is why I ask the above question. If you had said that there was some redness or a rash, then I would have asked for a description or a close-up picture to see if it was consistent with a fungal infection.

If there is some redness or rash, it would be reasonable to try an antifungal cream, such as clotrimazole.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know and I can address it tomorrow.