Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My wife might be having allergic reaction to Azithromycin.

My wife might be...

My wife might be having allergic reaction to Azithromycin. She has diarrhea, low grade fever and red skin rash around her eyes. Slightly puffy around her eyes as well. No swollenness in her throat or issues breathing. She is tired and weak. This is her 4th day on the antibiotic and tomorrow is suppose to be her last day. Her symptoms started yesterday but were worse today. She is not going to take the last pill tomorrow.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is your eye itchy?

Not so much itchy right now. If she touches the eyelids they are sensitive and if she puts lotion on them they burn slightly.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

She takes Prozac as well. Wondering if maybe a reaction with zithromyacin and the Prozac?

Answered in 1 minute by:
12/24/2017
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Dear customer

This is Dr. Josh. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

For what infection she was prescribed zithromycin?

Since how long is she taking prozac?

For 1.5 years after birth of our daughter. Zithromyacin for Bronchitis, chest cold. She was on Keflex about 2 weeks ago as well.

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

The symptoms you have described about your wife of having diarrhea, low grade fever and red skin rash around her eyes & puffiness is most likely due to a hypersensitivity reaction (similar to an allergy) due to azithromycin.

She need to stop taking it further.

Give her anti allergic pill (anti histamine drug) tab.Benadryl.It is available at your pharmacy as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help her greatly.

This does not seem to be due to interaction of prozac with azithromycin.

Pure allergic reaction from azithromycin is the most probable cause.

If still after this,the symptoms persists,then she need to make an appointment with your doctor as prescription oral medications will then be required accordingly.Usually & most likely,the symptoms gets subside with these treatment & doctor visit is less likely required.

Thank you.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today ,we only get after positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

Do you have any other follow up question?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

No sir. We just gave her some benadryl. We will see how she does. If her fever rises to 101d-102d I will take her to urgent care, etc.

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

Yes,its good that you have already given her benadryl. This is anti allergic & hopefully her allergic symptoms will subside with this.

Keep a watch over her symptoms.

To relieve her bronchitis symptoms,she may need another antibiotic and other prescription medications.

She needs broncho dilator medications and cortico steroids to reduce inflammation.Nebuliser & inhaled medications are more effective as they act directly on the airway surface and airway muscles.Short-acting inhaled beta-agonists are the preferred quick-relief medicine.

Thank you.

And please don't forget to leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today,

we only get after positive feedback.Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
You were very helpful. Thank you.

Dear customer

Thank you for the words of appreciation & for using just answer website.

Wish you a Merry Christmas

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards
Dr.Josh