Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Do Kidney stones enter the gallbladder?

Kidney stones do not enter the gall bladder.

Gall bladder can be diseased and produce gall stones which cause pain and inflammation in the gall bladder

Read full interaction below »

Do Kidney stones enter the gallbladder? My friend said her brother has been told he has this condition and needs to have surgery. Is this so to have kidney stones in the gallbladder?

Her relative is terrified and doesn't want to have surgery and is trying other methods. Will he succeed?

12/24/2017
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Gall bladder can be diseased and produce gall stones which cause pain and inflammation in the gall bladder and that is why your friend's brother needs surgery, because he has stones in the gall bladder.

But these stones are not kidney stones.

Could my friend have missunderstood the dr and what else could it have been instead of kidney stones in the gallbladder?

Gallbladder stones are in the gallbladder but can there be kidney stones somewhere else nearby creating a related issue?

No, anatomically the kidney is no where near the gall bladder and it will be a medical miracle if a kidney stone goes in to the gall bladder.

I think your friend misunderstood the doctor. Or may be the doctor was trying to make it easy for them to understand by using kidney stones as an example.

I was not informed obviously when i asked you. I have learned the person has 7mm kindney stone. Just one. But i did not learn if it is 7mm wide or just long and perhaps 1mm wide? If taking the special medicines to dissolve the stones, will the 7mm stone eventually be reduced and simply remain in the same spot in the kidney and not move into the ureter? Or when it reduces in size, does it end up fitting through the ureter instead of just remaining in the kidney forever?

Well, the size is usually the largest dimension, it can be either a length or width, or just a diagonal between both.

It depends on what the type of stone is. Medication cannot be used for all types of stones, some stones require lithotripsy which is basically ultrasonic waves that destroy the stone. On the other hand, some require surgical intervention for removal.

Now, the doctor can determine the type of stone from the history of the patient, certain blood tests and urinalysis results. Whether medication or lithotripsy is used, the idea is to break the stone in to smaller pieces which can pass through the kidney and the ureter down to the bladder and out the urethra easily.
If the stone persists in the kidney even after several sessions of lithotripsy or several rounds of medication, then surgical interventions must be tried, but the stone is not left in the kidney when it is symptomatic. Surgical interventions can be minimally invasive and percutaneous as well as more invasive such as open surgery.

Can you clarify this;
"but the stone is not left in the kidney when it is symptomatic"

This means that stones that cause symptoms are better taken out than left in the kidney. If not by medication or lithotripsy then by surgical means.

If the 7mm stone is under 4mm wide, then would that pass through the ureter which is 3-4mm wide? The 7mm won’t get stuck because it can’t fit into the narrow ureter. I’m assuming the smaller width of the stone would fit through first. The rest follows.

It’s not the size that’s important. It’s the shape. Stones are not smooth and anything more than 2 mm wide gets lodged in the ureter or doesn’t go through the renal pelvis. I’ve seen larger stones pass but it is an extremely painful process and more luck then a controlled process.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor