Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Three weeks ago I stepped on a rusty nail. the soles of my…

Customer Question
Three weeks ago I...

Three weeks ago I stepped on a rusty nail. the soles of my shoes were thick plastic, and the nail only went into my foot about 1/2 inch. I called my GP's office and explained to them that I had an appt. the following Thursday, and asked if that would be soon enough to see the Dr. The receptionist told me that the nurse said I should get a booster anyway. Then..,I explained that I had a tetanus shot in 2009 when I had a High Tibial Osteotomy on my right Tibia, and another booster in 2011 when I had the hardware removed. She said that I still needed to get in asap and have another booster. I didn't have a car at the time, so I put it off for another night; at which time I could get it done at the polyclinic for free. The next night rolled along, and I forgot about it, because the symptoms had gone away. The last couple of days I have been doing a lot of heavy labour, to the point where I am absolutely buggered. I walked up to Maccas because I was too tired to cook, and it took me 45 Minutes to cover the 10 blocks because my legs and my back felt like they were going to give out. The next day I started feeling better, and I woke up feeling better today, even though I only got four hours sleep last night. Anything in there sound like I should have gotten the booster?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

No swelling, just get worse the more I've been working myself. I work full time and have been packing and unpacking boxes while I move house by myself.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
12/23/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 6 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

tetitus shots are usually good for 10 years.

you most likely got one in 2011 which means you are good up until 2021.

you are not having signs of tetanus infection

you don't have to worry

let me know if you have questions.