Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My sister has brain cancer and had her operation on 8th

Customer Question
My sister has brain...

My sister has brain cancer and had her operation on 8th November. Since that time she has had burst stitches and a leakage. The cancer was in the front part of her head but she is now experiencing a very sore back of the head. Very painful but she says it feels like the skin not inside her head. She is still undergoing radiotherapy and I think she has had 9 sessions so far. She is worried about the pain and what might be causing it.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Haven't done so as to dates when things occurred.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I'm calling my sister to take over this conversation.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/23/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 7 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry about your sister.

after brain surgery, a seroma or fluid cavity can occur in the area of the surgery

this can cause fluid production and sometimes swelling and burst stitches and leakage of fluid.

she can try some lidocaine cream 4% or 5% lidocaine on the skin to help numb the skin to decrease pain

she can also try an ice pack on the area to decrease pain and swelling.

is she taking any dexamethasone steroid? this can help decrease swelling in the brain from prior surgery