Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I tripped and fell on my back a couple of hours ago in my…

Customer Question
I tripped and fell...

I tripped and fell on my back a couple of hours ago in my home. My lower back (pelvic area) is in considerable pain (feels like muscle spasms); however, I can move around and sit and lie. Any suggestions please as to what course to follow?Kate

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

No injuries in the past. Sitting with ice behind my lower back is helping.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/23/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 7 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Hello Kate.

What is your age?

Following measures would help you in pain;

1) Ice compresses

2) Local analgesic cream

3) Back brace.

4) Ibuprofen.

5) Relative rest.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Following investigations would be required ideally;

1) X-ray of the lower back

2) MRI of the spine, if pain is severe.

Following measures would be helpful;

1) Back care in the activities of daily living, which is an integral component of the treatment of back problems, whenever they arise either due to injury or due to other reasons. Back education is one of the most important thing which teaches the basic body mechanics, like correct posture for standing, standing at a desk or drawing board, sitting, brushing teeth, washing the face, pushing and pulling a weight, lifting a weight, getting in and out of bed, sleeping, getting into and sitting in a car. The training for these routine activity helps in preventing the spasm of the muscles. One needs to consult an occupational therapist or physical therapist which can educate about the proper and improper behaviors when back is painful in case they have to sit, bend forward, lie down, walk, cough, or sneeze. Following more need to be done:

a) Avoid activities which increases the pain.

b) Rest intermittently

c) Avoid bending at 90 degrees

d) Pushing and pulling should be avoided till pain subsides

f) Avoid prolonged sitting and standing

g) Avoid sitting or sleeping on floor

2) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like ibuprofen, other analgesics and muscle relaxants

3) Local analgesic gels or sprays / ointment

4) Hot fomentation

5) Electrotherapy like trans cutaneous electrical nerve stimulation: done by physical therapist. Other thing are ice packs, heating pads, electrical stimulation, phonophoresis, iontophoresis, relaxation, and biofeedback.

6) Good supervised physiotherapy.

7) Acupuncture,

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Merry Christmas.

Happy Holidays.

Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 6 months ago

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Merry Christmas.

Happy Holidays.