Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

If an elderly person begins to NOT be able to stand up when…

Customer Question
If an elderly person begins...
If an elderly person begins to NOT be able to stand up when i tell them, what condition is that?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/23/2017
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

you mean physically can't or mentally won't?

Physically they can, but they try to sometimes and it seems like the brain says to move but the body isn't responding.
Other times the brain prefers to defy the instruction or my signaling to get up (no matter how curtious or careful or gentle or casually my choice of words or my signalling with my hand on her back.
Other times, which are lesser and lesser each day, she just gets up effortlessly . A friend came and she got up effortlessly with them prompting her and other times the same friend had no success.
IS that connected to electrolyte imbalance or some other deficiency? Is it just muscle wasting or nerve stuff? Because this is for a bathroom break which she can't comprehend either anymore.. :(
I am hoping it is only an adjustment needed .
What would typically work? Doing long walks a few times a day?

That is most likely mental

I suspect something like parkinson's

One other dr suspected that as well... The MRI shows parts of the brain is not visible in the scan..Yet at that time a few years ago, the cognition was pretty fine as was dialogue and logic and movement and understanding documents was fine..

You can't see any signs of parkinson's on any scans or tests

It is a clinical diagnosis meaning you have to diagnose it "old school" and examine the patient

Also a test with medications can help

But the intermittent inability to initiate movements is classic

is this helpful?

It is helpful but terrible news. But if parts of the brain are also not appearing on the MRI what does that mean and is it related to parkinsons or can the person have two different conditions caused by seperate issues?
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 6 months ago

what do you mean if the brain isn't appearing?

YOu said you "can't see any signs of parkinson's on any scans or tests"BUt my moms scan image visibly shows missing areas of brain.
I Need to verify that actually. I am not sure if the two doctors read the report or viewed an actual ingae but both of them gave me a reply that was so blunt. "she's got parts of her brain missing" or something that straight and forward.
So whether they read a report or viewed actual images, i took it as if they saw an image with empty areas.
Would that be accurate for me to think this way?And related to their assessment, would there be other conditions that are affected by areas of the brain "missing" or gone or shrunk or atrophied?
So i was wondering if that "missing brain" or areas of the brain that don't appear on scans are related to other body issues or deficiets? SOrry for the redundancy of my sentences here as i am juggling a few things.

I'm saying that there is no evidence of parkinson's on any brain scans

parkinson's doesn't show

so if the brain is missing then it is likely something else

do you have a copy of the MRI?

just click send to reply