Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Nutritionist, constipation, 1/4 tsp celtic salt in 4oz of…

Customer Question
Nutritionist, constipation, 1/4 tsp celtic...
Nutritionist, constipation, 1/4 tsp celtic salt in 4oz of warm water as first drink of the day to stimulate bowel movement. One MD and one biochemist and one guy who is in remission for leukemia and told me about using this remedy for elderly. I would like to understand it a little more as how to apply this and why it might work or when would it NOT work. I understand it simply draws water into the colon and provides balanced electrolytes which the body needs to function property and stay in homeostasis. .
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 day by:
12/24/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 6 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

celtic salt in 1/2 cup of warm water may not be enough to help fight bad constipation

there are other over the counter remedies which may be more effective

how about eating prunes and prune juice?

I am suspecting that prunes are creating gas. But i find it incredibly difficult to know what food causes what symptom,. That is why i am reaching out to understand a bit more about bowel movement and regularity etc. There was alot of itchiness which was resolved after removing fruit and starches from the diet. I can try prunes again since the itching stopped. How soon will the itching return upon beginning prunes? How many prunes and what time and how to take them to create regularity? And how to prevent fermentation of the prunes along the trip OUT.

I bet you could have some gluten sensitivity which is in many starches which contain wheat, white flour, which is in past, bread, pizza crust, cereals, baked goods.

I would try fruit again and see if you still get itchy.

you may only need 1-2 prunes a day. take them first thing in the morning on a day you know you can be close to a bathroom

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

We don't have gluten or flour products in the diet for 3 years now. Sometimes there is flour products because it is just too crazy to avoid while also being social and going out to eat. But i say the majority of days of the week, we avoid gluten. I have been doing 3 prunes at night before bed, one day on another day off. Doing prunes in the morning brings up the blood sugar and by lunch time, it ends up being more carbs so the nutritionist said to use carbs only starting at lunch time. If the prunes do nothing, what does that mean. Also, after a bowel movement of 15 inches worth of stool, how soon would another BM be in the rectum? Also, what will a little too much magnesium do? I thought too much magnesium doesn't do any harm. Can you specify what the symotoms would be and what type of magnesium is the bad kind? Also, can the salt recipe in the morning cause dehydration or any behavior issue?

prunes can help you have a bowel movement.

it works for some patients.

if it doesn't work for you, then you may not need to eat the prunes.

15 inches of stools is good

everyone bowel system is different.

and it depends on what you eat and everything.

some people have a bowel movement once a day

others have one once every 2 or 3 days.

magnesium is in many laxatives like magnesium citrate and milk of magensia

there is no bad type of magnesium the celtic salt in the morning is fine if you don't have problems with it raising up your blood pressure or causing swelling. sometimes too much sodium in your diet can raise your blood pressure and cause swelling in your ankles.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com