Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My son has a few spots on his back. Some have red rashy

Customer Question
My son has a...

My son has a few spots on his back. Some have red rashy circles round the spot.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?

Started with one spot yesterday now there's about 7.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No nothing else thanks

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
12/23/2017
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Do you have a picture I can look at?

I've included a photo. There's about 3 of these spots on his back with 4 pimply ones.

do you have a clearer one?

Can't get much clearer than this.

How old is he?

Is he sick at all? Like with a cold?

He's 6 years old.
Has no other symptoms.

Honestly it is really hard for me to tell in those pictures.

Not your fault but I just can't see

I can tell you that kids get strange rashes all the time and usually nothing to worry about

but I would get this checked to be sure

is this helpful?

Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 2 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Thank you for the images you uploaded, they are quite clear.

Can you please answer a few questions for me regarding this:

1. are these areas painful?
  2. how long ago did they pop up and has he had any fevers/coughing?
  3. does he have any rashes in the mouth at all?
They're not painful just abit itchy.
Only appearing on his back so far.
No other symptoms & they starting appearing on Friday.
I'm now thinking it may be pitysarsis.

Pityriasis would present differently and will rarely be circumferential as you see nor would it be raised.

The most common cause of this either folliculitis which is the mostly likely cause or in rare circumstances it could be a bug bit but I don't believe it's that because he has too few to make it a bug bite.

It's not psoriasis and it's not a fungal infection since it wouldn't look the same.

It's not a viral infection such as disseminated herpes simplex and since he has no other fever symptoms it's unlikely to chicken box or anything like that.

Since they started just recently folliculitis would be the main suspect which is something benign and will resolve on its own. However, note that it is contagious to other children so if other kids are in the house take some precautions with sharing bedding and clothing.

I hope the information I provided was helpful.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Hope I provided you with a 5-star service.

Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 1 month ago

I hope I provided you with a 5-star service.

Please click the rating button when you get a chance.

-Dr. Mo

Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD