Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had a raspy voice or little voice for over 5 weeks…

Customer Question
I have had a...

I have had a raspy voice or little voice for over 5 weeks now, not sick just the voice. Should i be concerned? I am a pack a day smoker. I sing (only to my self) and I lose the voice when trying to go higher with vocals. It has gotten better than when it first started but it is concerning just the same.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I have not seen a Dr and no I am not on any medications

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I take nothing and have never had allergies to any medication. In that last few years I do seem to get some allergies symptoms during summer spring and summer depending on what is in bloom'

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, nothing

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/23/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 7 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age?

Do you have heartburn / acid reflux?

I just turned 37. No heartburn. Sometimes, or often, if I cough too much in the morning, I will get a not in my stomach and vomit. I drink nightly but I am less concerned for myself. It is not a hangover. I am more concerned for my baby that is only 13. This has been going on long enough that it has me a little worried.

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

You should be looked for;

1) Functional voice disorders

2) Infectious or allergic chronic laryngitis.

3) Diabetic neuropathy, if known diabetes.
4) Myasthenia gravis

5) Thyroid dysfunction or disease.

In functional voice disorder, which occur in people who need to speak for long hours or in loud voice; there is no anatomical larynx issue. Altered laryngeal muscle tension is suspected to result in altered laryngeal performance despite normal anatomy. Thus this is also termed as muscle tension dysphonia.This is treated by;

a) Vocal hygiene; avoid throat clearing, habitual loud speaking, habitual breath holding.
b) Avoid smoking (or slowly decrease the consumption) and any other toxic chemicals.
c) Acid reflux / Gastroesophageal reflux should be meticulously managed.
c) Plenty of fluid intake,
d) Medications with throat drying potential may be stopped.

Environmental pollutants and toxic products found in workplaces can cause chronic laryngitis. Infectious and allergic laryngitis is identified by following investigations;

a) MRI of larynx

b) Skin allergy test

c) Serologic markers for autoimmune disorders/ autoimmune panel.

d) Swab of the larynx, culture and sensitivities for bacteria, fungi, and viruses.

e) Sputum culture.

Chronic laryngitis is treated by;

1) Antibiotics

2) Anti allergic
3) Avoidance of fat, alcohol, and caffeine (if one does)

4) Avoid tobacco or smoking.

5) Avoid environment pollutants and irritants.
6) Steam inhalation
7) Room humidifier

8) Drinking plenty of liquids (2-3 liters a day).

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Thank you, ***** ***** joke. Next time I will just research myself and make my own conclusion. Have a great evening and happy holidays