Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I am a 31 year old female. I was drinking about a bottle of…

Customer Question
I am a 31...

I am a 31 year old female. I was drinking about a bottle of wine a day for weeks and not eating healthy and Sunday night (5 days ago) woke up with a pounding heart and pain in my chest. I have now had a wide range of symptoms all week, pain in my left and right arm, pain in my left shoulder, muscle spasams in my left shoulder, right feeling in my chest, pains in both sides of my body (ribs), shooting pain in armpits, headache for 5 days straight, dizzy today, fullness (indehestion feelings), my arms and legs feel weak and I have a sore back.
I went to my doctor and he sent me for blood work and a chest X-ray. I didn’t get a call back so I assume that is fine.
I had an ekg and halter monitors just over a year ago.
I am on 20mg of citalopram for anxiety, I am also taking a months break from fertility treatments (87.5 final f injections). Fertility doctor says my thyroid is a bit high at 6.3 so sending for further testing.I am worried I am having a heart attack!

Doctor's Assistant: Are you experiencing any shortness of breath or chest pain? Is there a history of heart disease in your family?

No history of heart disease. I can breath but I just feel like it’s harder to breath. On and off chest pain for 5 days. But many other symptoms as well (I wrote them above)

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am in fertility treatment at the moment. I have had theee miscarriages. I was taking fertility drugs.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
12/23/2017
Doctor: Dr. Amir, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor

Thanks for the question and coming here. I would like to have few more details. Can I ask you are having any stress in the recent past? Why you are drinking bottle of wine every day? If you don't drink you get any symptoms such as shakes, sweating, cramps? You are having any chest pain? You are having difficulty in controling the amount you drink?

I have a stressful job, and I have anxiety.
It has been the holiday season so I had been drinking a lot every day. I can go without drinking. I haven’t had anything in the last 5 days since not feeling well. I like wine, but can stop. No I don’t get any symptoms from drinking wine.
Yes, I have chest discomfort on and off for 5 days. That with a bunch of other symptoms. Right now my right arm feels tingling down my arm into my hand and I feel like it’s a bit hard to breath. I get a pain in my heart area sometimes too. I have had all different kinds of symptoms all week. Headaches, now dizzy today too when I move my head around.

Thanks for getting back to me. I would like to say that bottle of wine everyday is a lot asking for serious complications. I would suggest to cut down your alcohol intake soon as possble. I am glad you have not had any drink in the last 5 days. The most concerning symptoms for me are shortness of breath and pain in the heart area. I know you had EKG and holter monitor year ago but I would highly recommend to have fresh EKG soon as possible to rule out any ischemic heart disease. Stress can trigger the heart pain and also I am aware you are taking citalopram 20mg which is an anti-depressant and sometimes citalopram can also interfere and alter the rhythm of the heart. That's why I will suggest to have heart tests especially fresh EKG and 24 hour holter monitor. If you are having problems with heart burns, I will suggest to ask your doctor to prescribe your Tab. Lansoprazole 30mg one tablet daily for 4 four weeks half hour before breakfast. Your other symptoms can be due to drinking too much alcohol and you already have blood tests done so important to check these results.

Let me know If you need any more information. Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you.

Kind regards

Dr. A Javed

Consultant Internal medicine

you don’t think I aM having a heart attack? I will go back to my doctor for further testing. Should I make this a Rush?

Yes I would say to make this soon as possible. I will suggest to visit emergency is suggested due to your serious symptoms like I have mentioned above. The only way to rule out heart disease is to have fresh Heart EKG and physical examination by the doctor as I am concern about your pain in the heart area and shortness of breath. Don't delay and have the evaluation done at the earliest.

Kind regards

Dr. A Javed

Consultant Internal medicine

The pain in my heart isn’t ongoing. Right now I feel like it’s a bit hard to breath, almost like I’m wearing a tight bra and it’s restricting me to take a breath. I have arm pain and discomfort in my chest.
These are serious symptoms and should be investigated urgently to rule out heart disease. Heart disease can present like that and it is important to rule out that. I will again suggest urgent evaluation in the emergency which is recommended.
Please click on 5 star excellent eating icon so I can get credit for my time with you.
Kind regards
Dr. A Javed
Consultant Internal medicine
Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor