Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My son has gone through 2 rounds of blood tests. His

Customer Question
My son has gone...

My son has gone through 2 rounds of blood tests. His testosterone levels test out as low. He's 28 and has been on levothyroxine for a couple of years. His GP prescribed an injection, but gave no directions on how to give it to himself. The alternative is a cream that cost $600 per vial. And they're saying he has to take it daily, which seems wrong. We need options.

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

Blood samples. The most recent one was lower than the previous one. He rides bikes, but has been struggling with fatigue. They were even talking brain tumors-which of course has him panicking.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He rides bikes, works retail, he's 6'4" and has LOUSY insurance via his employer.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
12/23/2017
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

There are several drugs with various formulations of injectable testosterone, and the directions will vary according to the formulation. Which drug was prescribed?

I'm not sure. I know he has had a lifelong fear of needles so he's waiting to see if they can get the insurance to approve another delivery method such as gel or patch. Is it really the norm these days to simply prescribe an injection and then simply send the patient on without any sort of oversight or instructions? I mean I know diabetics go through some type of training. This just seems very cavalier.

No, it is not the norm to simply prescribe injectable testosterone without any instructions or oversight. The patient should be instructed on how to draw up and inject the medicine. And there should be oversight with monitoring of the testosterone level to be certain that the prescribed dose is achieving adequate levels of testosterone. The dose may need to be adjusted depending upon the testosterone level achieved by the initial dose that is prescribed.

Over the internet, once I know which formulation is prescribed, I can easily provide information regarding the usual starting dose and frequency. I can also provide text description on how to draw up and inject the medicine, but the practical instruction on how to perform the injection is usually better done by someone showing him how to do it, rather than telling him how to do it.

If he can get the insurance to approve another delivery method, then he will not need to learn how to perform an injection. But if he proceeds with the injectable medicine, he can call his doctor's office and speak to the nurse and ask if he can come in for the nurse to show him how to do it. He should be able to do this without needing another appointment to see the doctor.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor