Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I've had hiccups pretty steadily for the eight hours. I saw…

Customer Question
I've had hiccups pretty...

I've had hiccups pretty steadily for the eight hours.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I saw a doctor earlier today for Bronchitis. He gave me some antibiotics and cough syrup. The hiccups started about 4 pm.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

I've had the cough about three days. No appetite and persistent nausea and fatigue.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I;ve had a heart attack some years ago am taking medication fr that.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/22/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 3 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Following can be tried at home for hiccups;

1) Stimulation of the throat by a small tube or catheter

2) Stimulation of the uvula by a spoon

3) Valsalva

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valsalva_maneuver

4) Tapping or rubbing back of the neck

5) Forcible traction on the tongue,

6) Swallowing granulated sugar,

7) Gargling with water,

8) Sipping ice water,

9) Biting on a lemon

Please read the resource;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hiccups/DS00975/DSECTION=lifestyle-and-home-remedies

If these measures are not helpful, it would be prudent to go to an urgent care clinic (walk in clinic) or ER.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor