Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

In December of 2014 I had my testosterone tested and it was…

In December of 2014...

In December of 2014 I had my testosterone tested and it was 252/78 and just had another recent test and now it has dropped to 129/27

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I haven’t yet, I don’t take anything for this condition now but do take an anxiety medicine and a sleep aide

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

Well just feeling tired and low libido

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Had a hernia, I have had a girl I use to date that would enjoy kicking me in my testes but I never thought anything about that, we stopped seeing each other about 3 years ago

12/22/2017
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

These levels are low and the most recent level was very low.

Did a doctor order these levels?

If so, did the doctor discuss treatment with testosterone replacement?

I didn’t, the doctor ordered the blood work, the first blood test, she said was in the lower side of normal, she hasn’t got touch with me about my new test results.
She did mention that she doesn’t like testosterone treatment replacement because of all the risk.That’s why I’m asking what I should do and is there an underlying problem why they are dropping so fast?
What’s your advice for what I should do?

At this point, the level is so low that the benefits of treatment would outweigh the risks.

There is an underlying problem, and testicular failure is the most common cause. Other blood tests can confirm that this is from testicular failure. If you have a history of recurrent significant trauma, that could contribute to testicular failure.

At this point, it is appropriate for you to start testosterone replacement.

Should I ask my doctor to refer me to someone that is an expert with this type of function of the body?
So do you think the what I did with the girl friend a few years ago, she called it ball busting cause this?
Is my levels considered castrated levels?

It is reasonable to be seen by an Endocrinologist.

Yes, significant trauma certainly can be a contributing factor. Castration levels would be lower. These levels, though, are indicative of severe dysfunction.

One last question and thank you for the advice, with treatment, I do excrecise and eat well, not perfect, I’m 6’1” 180, can I reverse this? Will the testes go back to normal?
I haven’t been hit in the testes for the past few years and only done that with her a couple times, I really wasn’t enjoying it, I did have pain during it but was okay afterwards. Maybe a little sore like bruised for a couple days, slightly.

Until further evaluation is done, it cannot be said whether the testes can get back to normal. Most cases of testicular failure will not go back to normal with treatment, but there are some causes that can be treated so that the testes will return to normal. Testosterone replacement will help correct the blood levels and ease the symptoms, but it does not help the testes go back to normal.

If you only engaged in trauma a couple times, that would be less likely to contribute to testicular failure.

I’m sorry one more question, could it be cancer in the testes, I just had a PSA test done the same time and it was 1.7, I know that ma for the prostate but if there was cancer in the testes, could that raise the number?

It is unusual for testicular cancer to cause such low levels of testosterone. Testicular cancer typically arises in only one testicle. It must get fairly large to hamper testosterone function in the testicle in which it arises, and even at that point, the other testicle is functioning. At advanced stages of the disease, it is possible to cause bilateral testicular dysfunction, but the diagnosis is usually well known by that point.

Testicular cancer would not affect PSA levels.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?

May I ask what is considered castrated levels?

Usually less than 20, and certainly less than 50.

Please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

Okay, I will.
So you are saying the one number where I’m 27 should be less 20 or less and the other number where I’m 129 should be 50 or less?

No, The 129 would usually be less than 20 and certainly less than 50.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor