Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Have a bad cold, asthma and getting "coughing fits" that…

Customer Question
Have a bad cold...

Have a bad cold, asthma and getting "coughing fits" that feel like my head will explode - I have been taking Vicks Dayquil and drinking lots of water, could I take a oxycodone tablet after I am free of other meds in my system so I could possibly rest/sleep?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I take 1 red yeast rice tablet, 1 cosamin ds tablet, 1 Q10 - I have an asthma inhaler and I used it today once during an extreme coughing fit - I am allergic to clindymacin and pencilllin and timersol

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am diabetic, but do not take meds, it is controlled with exercise and diet (8 years) and I have a new knee replacement (a year old in Oct.) - my throat is sore with some pain in my ears. I previously spit up yellow mucus but now it is basically clear

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
12/22/2017
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

Yes, after you are free of other meds in your system, it would be OK to take an oxycodone tablet.

When oxycodone is taken with other drugs that can be sedating, then there can be excessive sedation, and that would include sedating antihistamines. But since you will be free of other meds, there would not be that concern.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?

Doctor: ever-cssm,
 replied 1 month ago
ever-cssm
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you.
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/avxev-bad-cold-asthma-getting-coughing-fits.html
Thank you, ***** Support Team
Dr. D. Love, Doctor