Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I'm experiencing vibrations in my lower abdomen about 2-3…

Customer Question
Hi, I'm experiencing vibrations...

Hi, I'm experiencing vibrations in my lower abdomen about 2-3 inches below my belly button, generally after eating or drinking. Its comes in waves so isn't constant lasting up to 5 seconds at a time.

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

None really, i had a bit of pain in the lower stomach today and a slight feeling of nausea, but cannot say if its connected.

Doctor's Assistant: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?

Around 2 weeks.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
12/22/2017
Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Has there been any change in your digestion?

Any fullness in the abdomen area or pressure?

Any problems with your lower legs or any pain in the back?

1. Not that i have noticed, everything seems the same
2. A little today after eating
3. No

Thank you for answering those. So it's a good sign, it doesn't seem to be a vascular issue affecting the lower legs. It's unlikely to be an aneurysm since they wouldn't have any symptoms at all. The most common issue is that you have a partial blockage which isn't anything dangerous but that can cause you to have a vibration sensation from time to time until all the blockage eventually passes.

Ok thanks, ***** ***** rule our IBS? If it was IBS would i be having other symptoms?

Generally with IBS there would be a lot of soft stools, severe abdominal pain and intermittent constipation. There would be mucous in the stool and severe urge to defecate that would come at random times.

Glad I could help you with this.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you might have.

I hope I provided you with a 5-star service.

Please click the rating button when you get a chance.

-Dr. Mo

If a blockage, is there anything i can do in the mean time to speed it up?I don't drink alcohol often but can usually hold my drink. I recently went for a drink and consumed a few pints of beer. I went home and to bed feeling OK. I woke with a severe headache and within an hour was sick twice. This has happened on 2 occasions over the last month, could this be related?

I generally recommend eating a lot of fiber with a lot more water. The vibration might get a little worse for a while but then will improve. I don't think the alcohol issue is related though your system might not be able to digest the alcohol quite as well and so you're building it up in your system faster and throwing up. I can't think of any other way how it could be related.

How long would you expect the vibration symptoms to last?

If you're aggressive with fiber and water and empty the bowels out pretty good then I think you can get rid of it as soon as 3-5 days. Certainly not longer than that if you really get the bowels moving.

By aggressive, how much water should i be drinking an hour? With regards ***** ***** if i eat nestle shreddies, how much of this should i be eating a day and what time gap should i give between sittings?Do you know what the usual cause is at all for a blockage?

Nestle shreddies won't work because their carb content is too high and it would offset the fiber content and actually make things a little worse. If you don't want to do fiber then you can start consuming 4-5 oranges a day along with apples and carrots along with at least 3 liters of water a day.

Blockage can happen because a harder piece of stool is positioned in a manner where the rest of the softer stool gets by but barely, this is often from the consumption of refined sugars or meats. It eventually does break up and resolve but with a higher fiber intake it goes away faster.

No, happy to go with the fibre option. Which products are going to give the best result?

Psyllium husk are the best ones - easy to tolerate and cheap.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

-Dr. Mo

Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD