Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My total Bilirubin test result has come back as 25 umol/L…

Customer Question
My total Bilirubin test...

My total Bilirubin test result has come back as 25 umol/L what does that mean?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I am on statins to manage my cholesterol. My cardiologist knows it is high, but she doesn't seem to be concerned with liver damage as such and explains that that will happen over many years but the heart is the main focus to keep me alive

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

Yes my family does have a history of heart disease, both on my father and mother's side. My general health has been of concern to me for the last 5 years since I had an angioplasty done and 2 stents put in. The cardiologist had me on quite a number of different medications which made me quite ill. One of the effects of all this on my body I feel is the reason which has brought on this vestibular disorder which has been quite debilitating. I kept thinking all this time being tired, nauseous, weak all had to do with this disorder, but reading up on high bilirubin levels make me now wonder if I have problems with my liver?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, I don't think so

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
12/22/2017
Doctor: Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

Do you have the results of your other liver function tests (i.e. SGPT, SGOT, alkaline phosphatase, albumin, direct bilirubin)?

Test results:
Liver function tests (Serum)
Total bilirubin 25 umol/L
Alk.Phos 82 U/L
Gamma GT 16 U/L
ALT 24 U/L
Albumin 41 g/L
Total Protein 75 g?LGlucose (fasting) 5.5 mmol/L

These other results look pretty good. If you had serious liver disease, one or more of these would likely be elevated. The total bili is only a bit elevated. We sometimes see this normally in big individuals. Are you a pretty big guy?

The total bili can also be a bit elevated with certain anemias (due to degredation of the blood cells and release of their contents). Get a CBC (complete blood count) if you haven't already.

No, I'm a 46yo woman, 5ft 2 weighing about 52kg

Well, that settles that then! :-)

How about your HCT or Hgb? Do you have these levels?

Sorry what is HCT & Hgb?
Haemoglobin 133
MCV 91
RDW 12
MCHC 322
Platelets 217
White cells 5.2
Neut 3.5
Lymph 1.1
Mono 0.4
Eosin 0.2

Looks pretty good. Doesn't look like hemolysis is the cause of the elevated bili. Do you have any previous liver function tests? A slightly elevated total bili might be normal for you.

Mild elevations in Tbili can also be caused by gallbladder disease. One common, but harmless, cause is Gilbert's syndrome, a deficiency in an enzyme that helps to break down bilirubin (allowing it to build up). As long as your other liver enzymes are okay, and you are not suffering from abdominal pain or jaundice (a yellowing of the skin or eyes), this is probably meaningless and can be monitored periodically by your doctor.

I do at home so they are not accessible at the moment. If the blood results are ok and liver might be too, why do I feel so weak, no energy and feel nauseous quite often.....side effects from the statins?

Statins can do that. Are you having any muscle pain, bodyaches, etc?

Going back to your above comment, I had a whole heap of blood tests done a couple of years ago and the hematologist did mention I had Gilberts syndrome, but he said that it was nothing to worry about.No I do not have muscle pain or body aches, however, there have been times when people have commented that the white of my eyes are a bit yellow.

So, the Gilbert's probably explains the slightly elevated Tbili. You might want to check your priors to see if there is a trend upward or downward. The other symptoms could be related to the statin if they started within a couple weeks of starting the medication.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. If so, I would be happy to help further.

If you have no more questions, a positive rating would be much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Doctor-Bob

Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor