Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I'm a victim of a false ositve. I need help figuring out why…

Customer Question
I'm a victim of a...
I'm a victim of a false ositve . I need help figuring out why my test results say positive for opiates broken down morphine. I have never taken morphine.what could cause this. I'll I have taken is mucinex over the counter cough medicine DayQuil and tramadol.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
12/21/2017
Doctor: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, this is Dr. Stan, thank you for your question. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 30 years of patient experience and I am here to help you today.

It is possible to get a false positive using DayQuill (antihistamine and cough suppressant). Ask that the test be repeated and explain that you were taking over the counter DayQuill. May I assume this was a random test at work? Unfortunately, this is your only recourse.

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned your 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Does it break down metaboiz into morphine?

Dextromethorphan which is in DayQuill can be interpreted as a morphine metabolite. When the test is repeated, specific elements will be evaluated to differentiate the two.

Any additional thoughts, questions?