Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Who do opiates stay in the hair? My duaghter has to take a 5…

Customer Question
Who long do opiates...

Who long do opiates stay in the hair?

Doctor's Assistant: Is there an upcoming drug test scheduled? What kind of samples are being tested?

My duaghter has to take a 5 panel hair folicle test in 90 days?

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

Hair? i don't understand?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My daughter is recovering from using all drugs. she has to take this test for custody of her child. if she stops using everything for the 90 days will she be clean?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
12/20/2017
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

Opiates stay in the hair for 90 days, but that is also because of the nature of the standard hair drug test. Hair on the head grows at a relatively consistent rate, so hair drug tests are intentionally done on the length of hair that corresponds to 90 days. Hair on the head grows about a half inch in 30 days, so testing an inch and a half of hair corresponds to 90 days. If the hair is longer, then there may be some opiates from previous months in the length beyond the inch and a half. But since the hair test will only involve testing that inch and a half, the previous use will not be detected.

It is important to note that the 90 days is not precise. It takes several days to about a week for the hair to grow enough to reflect what is (or is not) in the system today. So the 90 days that are being tested is not from 90 days before the test until the day of the test. instead, it is from about 97 days before the test until about 7 days before the test. So, if she were tested exactly 90 days after she stops using, the test may still be positive reflecting the seven days from 97 days before the test until 90 days before the test.

It is also important that she not cut her hair too short. If the hair on her head is not long enough to test an inch and a half, then the test may be done on hair from elsewhere on the body. But since body hair does not grow at a predictable rate, hair drug tests on body hair may look back longer than 90 days.

So, opiates will stay in hair longer than 90 days, but in the context of a hair drug test performed on head hair, opiates will only yield a positive tests for about 90 days.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

they will pluck a hair and test the bottom 1 1/2" of the hair. If her hair only grows at 3/8" a month than they would be testing 4 months back correct? What about marijuana? Can that be detected back as long as opiates?
i want to cancel this service. I was charged $48 and not $5. I am not satified and I want my money back now.

OK