Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What does mean when heart rate is 98 and you feel faint

Customer Question
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/20/2017
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

The heart rate is borderline high.

But more than heart rate alone, presence or absence of other symptoms make it important.

Fainting with heart rate 98 can be due to cardiac arrhythmia, which means that heart is not pumping with normal rhythm, leading to impairment in circulation to brain giving you fainting spells.

If this is on-going, this should be taken seriously, and should be reported to doctor in urgent care for an urgent EKG

EKG is a useful initial test to make sure there is nothing seriously wrong with your heart.

Some times heart arrhythmias are transient and episodic, which can be missed on EKG, so for that they may give you a device to wear for 48 hours at home, called holter's , which will record and monitor all abnormal rhythms even if they come for short time.

f everything is okay regarding your heart, then you would need MRI of the brain to look for circulation abnormalities to the brain which can give you these symptoms.

Was it helpful?

Please do not forget to give 5 Star Rating to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.