Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

94 y o woman in hospital for infection in ankle are due to…

Customer Question
94 y o woman...

94 y o woman in hospital for infection in ankle are due to poor circulation, one artery blocked

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Angiogram and stent have been suggested what r risks/benefits

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Mother has pacemaker

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
12/20/2017
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

I believe the angiogram should be done, and is this shows a clear lesion or blockage which can easily be stented, and there is strong anticipation that post-stenting there will be adequate circulation in the affected area, then off course, one should proced with this.

But if the patient is seriously ill, with severe co-morbid illness, or very poor functional status, then a conservative approach should be taken.

For example if for this patient, the life expectancy is less than 1 year due to advance cancer, or any other serious disease, then the risks would outweigh the benefits.

Another example, if the same patient's kidneys are very fragile, and there are high chances of contrast induced renal failure due to angiogram, then the risks outweigh benefits.

In this kind of situation, a consensus decision has to be taken involving the patient (if conscious and able to make decisions), next of kins, and the treating physician.

was it helpful?

Please do not forget to give 5 Star Rating to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.