Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My lab report indecated that I have H-Pylori. My Dr put me…

Customer Question
My lab report indecated...

My lab report indecated that I have H-Pylori. My Dr put me on a regiment of twice 14 DAYS , 28 DAYS TOTAL of antibiotics. the second report from the Lab tells me that I still have the infection. We are now waiting out the next 6 weeks before another tests can be done. Is there anyother method that I can be doing or should I be watching my food intake for acids.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Like I said my Doctor put me on two different regiment of strong antibiotics for a total of 28 days.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am a serviver of 17 years of breast cancer. I try to eat well, if I eat strong acid foods than my stomach is blooded, cramps. I have an issue with my bells. But with careful medication I try to go every third day.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Yes and trying to learn up about this infection. Can you tell me what I should be on lookout for food wise and not eat. Would keeping the acid down in my stomach, would this cure the infection.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
12/20/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 5 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Thanks

there are many regimens which can treat H Pylori of the stomach.

triple therapy is needed first, one proton pump inhibitor and 2 antibiotics.

or there are 4 element treatmnts.

https://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepage.cfm?ID=x20070710111744582310

First-line treatment

• offer people who test positive for H pylori a 7-day, twice-daily course of treatment with:
    • a PPI (see table in notes) and
    • amoxicillin 1g and
    • either clarithromycin 500mg or metronidazole 400mg
  • offer people who are allergic to penicillin a 7-day, twice-daily course of treatment with:
    • a PPI (see table in notes) and
    • clarithromycin 250mg and
    • metronidazole 400mg
  • offer people who are allergic to penicillin and who have had previous exposure to clarithromycin a 7-day, twice-daily course of treatment with:
    • a PPI (see table in notes) and
    • bismuth and
    • metronidazole 400mg and
    • tetracycline 500mg

Second-line treatment

• offer people who still have symptoms after first-line eradication treatment a 7-day, twice-daily course of treatment with:
    • a PPI (see table in notes) and
    • amoxicillin 1g bd and
    • either clarithromycin 500mg bd or metronidazole 400mg bd (whichever was not used first-line)
  • offer people who have had previous exposure to clarithromycin and metronidazole a 7-day, twice-daily course of treatment with:
    • a PPI (see table) and
    • amoxicillin 1g and
    • a quinolone or tetracycline 500mg
  • offer people who are allergic to penicillin (and who have not had previous exposure to a quinolone) a 7-day, twice-daily course of treatment with:
    • a PPI (see table) and
    • metronidazole 400mg and
    • levofloxacin 250mg
  • offer people who are allergic to penicillin and who have had previous exposure to a quinolone:
    • a PPI (see table) and
    • bismuth and
    • metronidazole 400mg and
    • tetracycline 500mg
At this time I will cancel this call. I can see where I have gone through the course of antibiiotics that you have listed from my Dr.I only wish to know if there is anything I should not be eating and mainly keep away from any heavy acid foods for the next two months. I do not wish to pay at this time. Thanks.

you don't have to accept additional phone consult services.

have you taken a proton pump inhibitor along with 2 or 3 antibiotics?

you need a PPI like omeprazole or nexium or protonix along with antibiotics to get rid of h Pylori.

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician