Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a basal cell carcinoma on my chin & I am worried

Customer Question
I have a basal...

I have a basal cell carcinoma on my chin & I am worried about something that just occurred. My tooth was aching in my lower jaw so I put a hot compress on it a number of times to try to relieve the pain of my tooth. Without realizing it the hot cloth also covered the basal cell as well. After about 30 minutes of repeating the hot cloth on my jaw I noticed the skin cancer looked so much smaller & was very red in color. I am so scared now that somehow after becoming softer & possibly hot the cancer in the skin tumor has somehow gone into my bloodstream & that's why it now looks smaller. Can you please tell me if this is possible that the cancer went now into my system? Could it spread this way?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?

I have had the skin cancer for a while.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have had previous skin cancers also removed in the past.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
12/20/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 6 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

This is not possible.

Basal cells do not survive in the blood and also basal cell cancer is predominantly a local cancer. It does not have either a blood or a lymphatic spread. So please do not worry at all.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Dr..... Why is it now half the size that it was? It is so much smaller & that is what is worrying me? Where did the rest of the tumor go to make it this much smaller?

Warm compresses can decrease the size temporarily.

This is likely to restore the size in couple of days.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr...... Is there any chance at all that the cancer cells spread into me this way? If any did ...... is this at all dangerous to me?
It is not dangerous at all.
It cannot spread like this.
Please don’t worry.
Thank you......
You are very welcome
A positive rating would be highly appreciated.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Merry Christmas.

Happy Holidays.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.