Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My husband has been taking levofloxacin 750 for awhile now…

My husband has been...

My husband has been taking levofloxacin 750 for awhile now and he has a terrible cough, could it be from the levaquin?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

About 5 days I think said he had almost pneumonia

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He was taking it for an infection in the foot

12/20/2017
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board-certified consultant with over 30 years of experience. I’m reviewing your question and reply you soon.

Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

What is his age?

Shortness of breath?

Associated stuffy nose, sore throat?

Phlegm at the back of the throat?

Is he taking any other medications?

How many doses of Levaquin has he taken?

Fever?

Waiting for your response.
Thanks

He is 75. Yes shortness of breath. he started his second 30 day dosage on 12-11-17. yes he has had a fever this week- 99.5. off and on . he is taking iv's for an infection in the foot(mursa) Daptomycin 500 mg he put him on it for 6 weeks (done on 12-22-17) but extended it another 4 weeks to Jan 18. And yes he has a list of medications for being diabetic- metformin, Humalog, lantis : schioeffective disorder- like lithium, Lipitor,, abilify,; heart - eliquis,coreg, cozaar,, . he did say that he hasn't had a bowel movement in awhile, not sure why but hasn't been eating as much maybe. His Dr said he almost had pneumonia. I was concerned about the two antibiotics. His cough is so bad that he gags. Is he being overdosed? Thank you for your help. Betty

Thanks for all these additional information.

I understand your concern.

Well as you describe, his cough and shortness of breath can be caused due to pneumonia.

It's not related to Levaquin.

Still, as he is taking a lot of medications so it can be possible that he may suffer from such cough due to a combination of drugs.

Still, I would recommend monitoring his blood pressure and pulse rate.

He should take OTC Coricidin HBP Chest Congestion & Cough.

Hydrate him with warm liquids.

Elevate his head while lying down.

And if his cough and shortness of breath are getting worse then visit an emergency room and bronchodilators should be given promptly.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s requested to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks.

Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor
He was given a inhaler proair- albuterol. Sorry I had to help him to the bathroom. He is weak. and now coughing and gaging.
he was told to take his demadex for a few days to get rid of any fluid on his lungs.

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

I understand his condition and discomfort.

Give him such inhaler.

And elevate his head while lying down.

Make him hydrate with warm liquid.

Nasal saline spray can be tried.

If possible saline gargles can be tried if he is comfortable to do.

Otherwise, see him to his doctor again for a persistent cough, gagging and shortness of breath.

I wish for his good health.
Welcome.
Kind Regards
Dr.Anil