Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Can you please tell me if Adderall can lead to intracranial…

Hello, Can you please...

Hello, Can you please tell me if Adderall can lead to intracranial pressure for a person who has a VP shunt for hydrocephalus ?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Any other symptoms?

I am writing for my son who is a botanist. While working in Papua New Guinea and Australia he contracted a fungus, Cryptococcus gattii in his lungs which ended up in his brain. He received a VP shunt about 9 months ago. He has been feeling fatigued and lethargic. A physician diagnosed him with ADHD and prescribed Adderall about 1 week ago. He says he feels as if he has pressure behind his eyes and is having headaches. I was wondering if Adderall might cause an increase in ICP which might lead to pappilodema?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He has been taking 400 mg of fluconazole for about 1 year.

12/20/2017
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Hello my name is***** am a board-certified pediatrician with 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. I’m so sorry to hear of your son’s fungal infection and requiring a VP shunt. I have cared for many children with VP shunts and also treat many dozens of ADHD patients with Adderall. Increased intracranial pressure is NOT a side effect of Adderall but headaches in general are a fairly common side effect.
Can I answer any other questions for you?
Hi Dr. Han, Thank you so much for your timely response; I certainly appreciate your thoughts. You have relieved my mind. I will mention the headache issue to him. Again, thank you. Best wishes to you and your family and have a happy holiday season. Hubert Feild Auburn, Alabama
You’re very welcome. If you have no further questions, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. All my best to you and your family.
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD