Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I’ve been having flank pain both sides for a month or so. I…

Customer Question
I’ve been having flank pain...
I’ve been having flank pain both sides for a month or so. I do have high blood pressure and type 2 dibeties. The pain is always there not real sharp but just there. I seen Dr other day. My blood work was good. Basp was little elevated. Creatinine was ok and bun. I did have 1+ blood in urine test. No infection or protein in urine. I take 3 bp a day. 25 larsartin 5 mg amlodpine. And put me hctz 25 mg about a month ago. Bp is running around 140/85. Sometimes little higher. I urniate a lot during the day. Prolly 20 times or so. Small amount comes out a lot of times. I have had Uric acid in my blood in the past. Gout problems years ago. Should I be concerned with bladder or kidney cancer ?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
12/20/2017
Doctor: Dr. Amir, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor

Thanks for the question and coming here. I would say that I am not concern about kidney or bladder cancer at present because your presentation is different. I would like to investigate few important possibilities such as kidney stones or stones in bladder especially uric acid stones, hypertensive kidney disease. I will suggest it is very important to have your blood pressure in normal range because long standing high blood pressure can damage the kidneys. I will highly recommend to have kidney and bladder scan at the earliest which will investigate kidney or bladder stones. You should drink plenty of water and avoid spicy or junk food and avoid alcohol.

Let me know If you need any more information. Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you.

Kind regards

Dr. A Javed

Consultant Internal medicine

Your are saying I have ckd ? Blood creatinine 0.9. Bun was 18 . Urine had no protein in it. Basp was little high. 0.8.

I am not saying you have chronic kidney disease. I am saying about more likely to be kidney stones or bladder but you have to be mindful about your blood pressure which can cause chronic kidney disease in the long run if not well controlled. Also people with hypertension do have mild changes in their kidneys. I will highly recommend to have kidney and bladder scans that good for you.

Kind regards

Dr. A Javed

Consultant Internal medicine

Would early signs of ckd show up in the blood creatinine level ?

Not always. Mild changes leading to stage 1 CKD can only be detected in kidney scans instead in blood tests such as urea or creatinine.

Kind regards

Dr. A Javed

Consultant Internal medicine

Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor