Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was looking for maybe an answer to why when I lay down in…

Customer Question
Hello. I was...

Hello. I was looking for maybe an answer to why when I lay down in bed sometimes I feel "electric currents" running down my legs. Feels like it starts at my hips maybe and goes right out of my toes. It doesn't happen all the time but it's still weird. Never when I am standing up.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

No swelling.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Menapuse. sometimes I get hot flashes but not night sweats. I had pneumonia in March that I think still has lingering effects but I beleive I had the leg issue for maybe a year or so. I'm not on any meds. Maybe 25LBS too many.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
12/19/2017
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

How old are you?

55

This is likely related to iron deficiency

it is called PLMD

have you had your iron checked?

I had a blood workup. Is iron something they automatically check for. I'd have to look for that info as I wouldn't know off the top of my head. HDL was 44 but everything else was ok.
Are you still there? I do have another issue when I lay down, or lean back but it's a hard one to explain.
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 8 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

I see you have opted out the other expert.

iron is not something which is usually checked for

iron can be checked by ferritin levels (stored iron) and serum iron levels and TIBC total iron binding capacity as ways to check for iron.