Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Chip - Another question for you. I'm curious as to what this…

Customer Question
Hi Dr. Chip - Another...
Hi Dr. Chip - Another question for you. I'm curious as to what this circled area is. I can see areas that look like this in other vertebrae but this one seems brighter. I think this was with contrast, T1.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
Image added. I'm wondering if it's an artifact or a blood vessel or something.
12/19/2017
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 8 months ago

Hey--that's a little calcification in the vertebral body but not cancer or anything worrisome

You can tell that it's just a calcification? Are those common in the vertbrae?

Fairly common yes and that's exactly what it is

Are they supposed to enhance on contrast? What makes them do that?

Just a bit of wear and tear on the bone and they can enhance with contrast

How can you tell that it's a calcium deposit, out of curiousity?

Sorry for the delay Josh

Just the way it looks basically--that's definitely denser bone