Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Where would a lump from an enlarged liver be felt under the…

Customer Question
Where would a lump...

Where would a lump from an enlarged liver be felt under the right rib cage?
In the abdomen (front), side or back closer to the spine?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the lump? Is it hard or soft?

Noticed it last week, it's pretty firm.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No Diagnosed with fatty liver in the past

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/19/2017
Doctor: Richard Han, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. In general, when someone performing a medical physical exam on you, if the liver is large enough for whatever reasons to be detected, it is felt as an edge protruding downward from under the rib cage on the right side, on the front of your body, in the right upper quadrant of your abdomen. Can I help you with anything else today?

What could be the cause of a hard lump under the right rib cage in the back parallel to the lowest rib running to the spine?

That is difficulty to determine by your description alone. Can you tell me, when you take deep breaths in and out, does the hard lump move at all or does it remain in the same exact place?