Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I recently had been recommended for gall bladder surgery. I…

Customer Question
I recently had been...

I recently had been recommended for gall bladder surgery.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I have no physical symptems, but i have a history of alcohol abuse. I get a annual blood test . it has shone a elevated biliruben level. recently i had a proceedure to determine why i have an enlarged bile duct. the doc decided to put in a stint somewhere in the system and proscibed removal of the gall bladder. this entailes a second removal process and then a third process at a different time that requires a third trip to the hospital to finish the situation.

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

I am not sure if they tested the bile for any thing before making the decision to add the stint and recommend removal. the doc mentioned after installing the stint that he found plak in the duct that required the stint.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My alcohol abuse is well documented. originally it appeared that my liver might be somewhat visually irregular in surface appearance. but as i have cut down my alcohol intake over the last few years my bilrubin has come down to almost with in range of 1.2.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/19/2017
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

This means that you are developing obstructive jaundice possibly due to a diseased gall bladder which can happen as a consequence of a fatty liver due to alcohol as well as de novo.

The reason the doctor put a stent in was because you had a dilated bile duct and elevated bilirubin which confirms a stricture in the bile duct distal to the site of dilatation. A stent is put in to guarantee smooth flow of bile and to prevent obstructive jaundice.

The gall bladder once diseased, producing stones or showing slow emptying should be removed in the light of all the findings.

Bile is not usually tested unless there is evidence of bile duct infection. And testing the bile for presence of infection will not change the management that is why your doctor did not send it for a culture.

Let me know if there are any specific queries related to this that you want answered.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!