Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My wife, 75 years old, has a presistant cough that comes in…

Customer Question
My wife, 75 years...

My wife, 75 years old, has a presistant cough that comes in spurts during the day. In the late evening the cough comes on for 1-2 hours. Our Family Doc says she is getting older. He ordered a "puffer" - After using it, he is not any better. This has been going on for 6 months.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

She has been dealing for at least 6 months. The filters in our A/C system are the best.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not me!!! It is my wife. No HBB or any of the stuff I have.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/18/2017
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 7 months ago

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Has she had any tests or studies to evaluate this?

no tests or studies

Is the cough productive?

Any problems with indigestion or heartburn?

No studies or tests, no indigestion or heartburn. Not much production, however, I am able to hear it in her throat and deeper.

Well my first thought is that it could be from silent gastric acid reflux causing a chemical bronchitis

It might be allergies, too

But any persistent cough should prompt a chest x-ray to check for pneumonia and possible lung cancer

For now she could try daily prilosec and Claritin to see if that helps

Please let me know if you need any more information