Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have gallstones one is 3mm how do I know when to get it…

Customer Question
I have gallstones one...

I have gallstones one is 3mm how do I know when to get it fixed I dry wretch every morning and bloating.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes they found it 6 months agowhen they thought I had a hernia

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Because of bloating I am booked in 4 acolon oscopy

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/18/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, gallstones are to be removed when they cause actual symptoms. This means if you start experiencing pain in the abdomen, nausea, vomiting or even recurrent diarrhea etc then it HAS to be removed. Another indication for actual removal would include inflammation of the gallbladder which is known as cholecystitis. OR if the stone gets stuck in the bile duct leading to jaundice. Even then it has to be removed as soon as possible.

But ideally, it should be removed when you are NOT having any symptoms because it is better to avoid development of the above in the first place. Once you get the colonoscopy done then you can get the stone removed.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/