Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been unwell on and off especially since October 28th…

I have been unwell...

I have been unwell on and off especially since October 28th which is when my IUD fell out. I’m wondering if it could have caused something

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

To happen to cause issues. I had bleeding directly after it came out, and concerns, but took a pregnancy which showed negative. Ive also had intestinal issues, sometimes showing blood or mucous in my stool, my eyes burning sometimes, and the most recent thing I’m having is very sensitive nipples with a bit of discharge. (I don’t know if that’s maybe due to hormonal changes).

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?

Anyways, I’m very concerned and don’t know whether to go to urgent care, ER, or wait until January for Amy family physician appt.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I take Prozac 60 mg, and did increase that in the last couple months as well. The burning in my eyes are on and off and definitely new to me. My neck and upper back have been particularly painful the last couple days, along with the headache which I believe is a migraine at this point

12/18/2017
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

The intestinal issues are not related to the accidental removal of the IUD. Studies done in individuals after removal of IUD shows that bleeding is the likely side effect of removal. However, removal of IUD does not lead to the symptoms that you are having on and off.

You may have suffered from an intestinal infection which caused your intestinal symptoms. For your other symptoms, I would recommend doing hormonal tests such as thyroid hormone test to know whether an abnormal thyroid hormone is a possible cause. But to answer your question your present feeling of being intermittently unwell is not related to accidental removal of the IUD.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).

It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!

Do you think the intestinal issues, or any of them, could be due to highering my dose of Prozac? Do you also think that I should just wait until Jan and see my family practitioner or who should I see and how quickly?
Can an intestinal infection go away on its own? I also did 2 enemas because I was having trouble passing stool when those issues were going on

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Increasing the dose of Prozac can cause a change in frequency of bowel movements but will not cause the appearance of blood.

Yes, a viral or even a bacterial infection may resolve by itself.

Take care.

Thank you!

Thank you. *****’m trying to understand who I should be seeing. Family physician in January okay? Or should I get in sooner with someone else?

Dear customer,

You are very welcome!

You can safely wait until Jan and consult your family practitioner. There is no need for any urgent or emergency consultation because of these symptoms and you don't require a specialist consultation. A family practitioner consultation will be sufficient and your doctor will be able to detect the likely cause of the symptoms.

Take care.

Thank you!

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor