Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was lying in bed when I felt something slide into my

I was lying in...

I was lying in bed when I felt something slide into my chest, I could feel my heart beat as if it was in my mouth. I have a wedge pillow and I lay on it and applied pressure to my upper chest. The normal (background) feeling of my heart beat slowly returned I think either my whole stomach (I have a hiatal hernia) or a part of my colon moved into my chest cavity

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

Not really, fit I am only 20

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Hiatal hernia

12/18/2017
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board-certified consultant with over 30 years of experience. I’m reviewing your question and reply you soon.

Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

Associated nausea?

Heartburn?

Are you taking any medications?

Stress and anxiety?

Alcohol and smoking intake?

Since how long have you been suffering from?

Waiting for your response.
Thanks

There was no real nausea. I don't suffer from bad heartburn because my stomach doesn't really leak into my esophagus. Just motilium to empty my stomach faster. I intake a lot of air when I eat /drink / swallow salavia so I am always bloated. Was under stress for exams but there over. A year and a half with hiatal hernia
No thanks

We can continue our conversation in this reply forum through text.

Do you want to continue our conversation?

Thanks.

Waiting for your response.

Yeah

Please allow me just a few minutes.
I’ll reply you back soon.
Thanks for your cooperation and patience.

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

Thanks for all these additional information.

I understand your concern.

Well as you describe, your symptoms are associated with a hiatus hernia and it can be triggered by your stress.

So you shouldn't worry about any serious disease like Heart related.

As stress, hiatus hernia could irritate your vagus nerve resulting in such heartbeat sensation in your mouth, heaviness in chest.

So you should do deep breathing.

And elevate your head while lying down.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s requested to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks.

Thanks you for the reply. I have had a panic attack before but it didn't feel like one. I usually cam down by breathing slowly. But this time that did not help. The thing I find wierd is that it only went away when I lay on my wedge pillow and applied pressure to my upper sternum. I sometimes do this to push air out of my hiatal hernia and into my stomach (I usually hear a gurgling sound)
This time I did not hear the gurgling sound though.

Thanks for the follow-up.

It's not necessary to hear the gurgling sound every time.

It could be possible that air has released from mouth this time.

You should relax and continue deep breathing.

Hydrate yourself with plenty of fluids.

Avoid swallowing air.

Hope this helps.
Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars and avoid poor/bad rating.
A bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor
Thanks again for the reply. Thanks for everything I'll leave 5 stars

I wish for your good health.
Welcome.
Kind Regards
Dr.Anil

Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor