Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have recurrent impetigo. 37 year old woman usually

Customer Question
healthy. One autistic son age...
I have recurrent impetigo. 37 year old woman usually healthy. One autistic son age 7. Always on my face with a few on my thighs or lower abdomen . Insanely painful if squeezed. A few have left scars. This has been going on about six months and this is maybe 4 or 5th time i have had it. Never ever before this year have i had it. No one else has had it in my immediate family. I have been prescribed a large amount of keflex four times a day for a month to kill the staph bacteria and it still keeps coming back. When it is here i have mupricon topically and then usually keflex bc i tried a stronger antibiotic (can’t remember name) and it made me so exhausted i literally almost slept an entire week besides being a full time employee i am also a single mother so being in bed for a week is not something i can handle.Every doctor i have gone to (er, urgent care, pcp) has prescribed the same as person before them but basically have no answers for me . Why do i keep getting this? How can i find out if there is a shot or medication or something to stop this from happening ever again! I will do anything it’s so embarrassing and uncomfortable and it’s ruining my day to day life! Is there another medication you would suggest instead maybe?! Should i see a dermatologist or what kind of dr do i need? If i don’t figure something out soon i seriously may have a breakdown. I need something to change ASAP. Please help me!!!The picture is from the first Time about 3-4months ago when i thought i burned myself from some facial scrub so i didn’t go to dr right away so it got really really bad. Now when i see any small spot i put mupricon on and bandage it up and start an antibiotic if possible that minute. Currently i got a few small tiny blisters starting (not crusty yet) yesterday. By my cheeks are super red and it’s almost like i can feel more coming from under the skin. My skin is super warm and my neck glands are swollen. I can’t be sick for Xmas but most of all i need to stop getting this. Thankfully my son has not caught t yet but he has a TON of medical issues i don’t need him to get this.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
12/18/2017
Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 2 months ago
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. Most likely you are infected with mrsa. Methicillin resistant staph aureus. I would suggest seeing an infectious diseases Dr. Not a dermatologist. You can do a cdc recommended mrsa decolonization protocol that will help with reinfection. A better antibiotic would be bactrim. In addition every time you squeeze a lesion you just spread infection. Avoid it
Dr. K.
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD