Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My 19 yr old daughter has been 'down' since Friday (today is

My 19 yr old daughter...
My 19 yr old daughter has been 'down' since Friday (today is Sunday) & she's been drinking water regularly, yet her urine is a fairly bright orange color. She has occasional pain only on left side - says headache & is nauseous & light/sound bothers her. She's eaten a bit of noodles w/butter and parm cheese & also some mac & cheese but does not have much of an appetite. (Not pregnant, currently not menstruating, is an athlete (just finished alpine ski racing week so we were thinking she's a bit 'run down'-but this is more extreme & ongoing now.) Thoughts?
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: She says it's similar to that of a 'hangover' and yes, nausea...
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I can't think of any. I've been giving her Ibuprofen occasionally but it hasn't seemed to do much. Also gave her 2 Alka-Selzer Cold Plus this AM.
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/17/2017
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!

At her age and activity level, there could be a number of causes, the most common ones being that she is coming down with a viral attack, she is dehydrated or she is experiencing a classical migraine (headaches, wants to stay in a quiet room and is sensitive to light).

I would suggest that you let her stay in a quiet room, keep her hydrated and to rule out sibclinical fever give her two tylenols to see if that makes her feel better.

Keep an eye on her symptoms and if this continues in to the next week then have her see her PCP.

I do not see any cause for elevated concern over her symptoms since most teenagers tend to have such symptoms during extreme activity, stress and /or changing weather bringing on a cold or flu / viral illness.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, so I've been researching what causes the orange urine, and am wondering about the possibility of gallbladder &/or biliary tract disease(?) although it seems THAT pain is more likely to occur on the right side, and hers is on her left. Any other suggestions? What should I be looking out for to rule out certain liver disorders? She's not a junk foodie, eats relatively healthy...live in Dillon, CO and we're in Portland, OR but just visiting her this week... She's been sleeping all day with the occasional interruption from me to take her temp & make sure she swallows a few gulps of water... Any other suggestions for what I should be doing? Should I take her to an Urgent Care tomorrow when they open??

It is wrong to think that liver or gall bladder problems cause orange urine. This is caused by dehydration or concentration of the urine. Liver conditions that cause the urine to appear dark (brown actually not orange) also cause jaundice - yellow discoloration of the skin and whites (sclera) of the eyes. They cause pain on the right upper abdomen and central abdomen. They also cause pale or white colored stools. The symptoms you mention do not seem to be due to a liver condition. Gall bladder conditions present with excruciating pain accompanied with nausea and vomiting and severe enough to warrant an ER visit.
All the symptoms you mention could also be due to gastroenteritis in the initial stages.

However, like I mentioned, keep a low threshold for visiting a doctor at an Urgent Care or the ER if the symptoms increase in severity.

Hope this helps.
Please do leave a 5 star rating for the service.

Best wishes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hmm, okay, well the pain in her left side isn't constant & she is not a migraine person, hasn't ever had 1 to my recollection. As I said she did eat a little, doesn't have a huge appetite, is getting some hydration. I'll try the Tylenol now - okay to give now as I did give her 2 Ibuprofen at 3:45 PM?(I'll be glad to give you a rating shortly. Just want to get my answers 1st please. I'm sure you understand.)Thank you!

Yes, you can give her Tylenol, it will not cause any problems.

Please rate whenever you can. No problem. I am here to help.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, one last indulgence please. She's been resting in bed all day, getting hot/cold flashes (although I've taken her temp regularly & it'c registering 'normal', she's having occasional pain on her left side below the sports bar area but above the pantyline, feeling nauseous/light headed when she gets up, and then the headache. I just gave her 2 Tylenol so will see what happens. But anything else you can confirm roughly via diagnosis-wise would be greatly appreciated.Also any recommended remedies or things I should be doing to make her more comfortable would be helpful. :)Thanks again for your time and trouble!

Keep an eye on her stomach/abdominal area. Any abdominal condition presents with tenderness in the abdomen, hard or board like rigidity in the abdomen, abdominal distention and constipation/ diarrhea, all these symptoms could be present together or one at a time.

If she vomits more than 3 times in 12 hours, then it is time to go to the Urgent Care or the ER.

If she feels constipated or is unable to pass flatus/wind, then it is time to go to the Urgent Care or the ER.

If she develops a high grade fever - 100 degrees above, then it is time to go to the ER, specially if there are chills and rigors.

If she has pain (scale of 1 to 10) at or above a 6, then it is time to go to the ER or Urgent Care.

A head up tilt of about 30 degrees is recommended while she lies down or sleeps.

A body massage will alleviate her generalized aches and pains (myalgias) and help in draining the lactic acid accumulated in her muscles due to muscle overuse.

Chicken soup is proven scientifically to boost immunity, so that will help. Chicken broth does the same.

Take her pulse, temperature and blood pressure every 4 hours.

And keep a low threshold for going to the hospital in case there is something that you can not make sense out of. Teenagers are difficult patients even for us, clinicians. They try to tolerate most symptoms and sometimes do not feel comfortable sharing the whole story. One has to have a lot of clinical acumen to evaluate teenagers.

Take good care.

Please do remember to rate the service, when done.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you SO much! All the advice has been helpful, especially appreciative of the last recommendations as well! Being that she's supposed to race again on Thursday & Friday perhaps some chicken soup, or at best some broth, would be a good thing to add to the repertoire!Have a nice rest of your evening.Kindest regards,Judie Simpson

Thank you very much.

Let me know if anything changes.

Warm regards.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We took her into the ER - she has mono :( ...thought you might like to know.

Thanks for the update.

I wish her good health.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor