Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am a Vet 100% disabled w ptsd, but have an enlarged

Customer Question
Hi-I am a Vet...

Hi-I am a Vet 100% disabled w ptsd, but have an enlarged prostate that the VA has been working on for over 3 years. I want to get a different "Urologist" & Endocronologist view on what they are doing wrong ??? I can't completely empty my bladder & get Urinary Trac Infections; I am on my 3rd one NOW. I feel the Vets are used as "Guinea Pigs" for OLD DR's who are practicing the Black Arts of the Middle Ages. :(..... The most recent RX procedure the Endo Doc wants me to try is using Catherters, 2x/day to release the Fluid that us retained in my bladder, I am taking: Sulfamethoxazole 800/Trimeth & Afuzosin hcl (but just read that Afu....will enlarge my Breasts....and will cause me to have an added risk of Prostate Cancer ! Help Please, David Blough--Vietnam Vet.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Yes....all my Meds are Recorded by my Primary Care Dr.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Schrapnel wounds to the abdomen....but didn't hit my groin. I have always been able to get and maintain a errection during sex.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
12/17/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 8 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you have enlargement of your prostate gland.

this is very common as men get older.

it sounds like you need to see a urology doctor to talk about a TURP surgery to cut a wider channel for urine to come out through your prostate

using catheters is a short term solution

and taking Alfuzosin will take a long time to help shrink your prostate gland.

you can try other drugs like finasteride or avodart to help shrink your prostate gland

you can try also medications like flomax (tamusolin) or hytrin to help your urination.

but you should ask your doctor for a referral to see a urologist.