Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have two parts to this. Ok my daughter has had a bad

Customer Question
I have two parts...

I have two parts to this. Ok my daughter has had a bad diaper rash and its not getting any better. Well my husband and i had sex last night and it was kinda dry the next day him and our daughter take a shower togeather and he handed her to me and noticed red bumps on her private area and then he yelled at me and asked me to look at him and it looks like he has small bumps on his penis and base area alot of them and it looks as if you could pop them and we have all had a cold the last week do you have any idea what this could be

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have a fever? Do you have any other existing medical conditions?

My daughter did but she has got. Better and just has a small cough now and my husband feels like he is getting a cold like she had but its the bumps im worried about

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Just a cold and thats all we have.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
My husband said the bumps are red with whit pus at the top like a pimple and his area itches and the bumps are kinda painful. And said its hard for him to pee sometimes we all have had a cold but i do not have any bumps on me at all and like i said my daughter has had a diaper rash the whole time as well and i did some research online and was wondering if they could both have a yeast infection. He is really worried and wants to go to the emergency room over it because he has never seen anything like it before
12/16/2017
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

Could you attach a close-up picture of the diaper rash and the bumps on your husband?

I cant get the file on my phone

When I try to zoom in on the bumps, it is blurry. Can you get a better image as a close-up of the bumps?

Nevermind it took it yes this is it he has never had anything like this before. It burn/stings the bumps. They are red reaised and irritated the bumps. He said its hard for him to pee because its bigger than normal. I and it itches as well.
This is the best

This does not look like yeast. It could be either herpes or a bacterial infection. If he is having difficulty urinating, then it would be more important for him to be seen.

A bad diaper rash, though, frequently is due to yeast. Without seeing a picture of the diaper rash, it is difficult to make any comment. You can try a topical antifungal to see if it helps ease the diaper rash.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?

What is a bacterial infection and what could cause that because i do not have any bumps on me at all. He thought it may have been a type of std like herpes like you said but i do not have it and we have been with each other for 6 years and he didnt have it yesterday and then we had sex and it was kinda dry and rubbed a little and then when he took a shower the next day noticed it was like the picture i sent you

A bacterial infection of the skin is usually from bacteria that are normally on the skin getting under the skin or in the deeper skin structure, such as sweat glands or hair follicle. It can get under the skin because of any break in the skin, such as an abrasion of the skin,

Herpes is still a possibility when there has not been any symptoms, as some people can have herpes without any symptoms. It also could have been present for the 6 years without yet affecting him. Over the course of a year, there is about a 5% chance that herpes can be transmitted to the unaffected partner if sex is avoided on days with no symptoms. And for someone with no symptoms, all of the days are with no symptoms. And that also means that after 6 years, about 30% of the partners would become infected.

On the other hand, if you have had a blood test for herpes and are known to be negative, then that would mean that you could not be a source of herpes.

He has had his blood tested just a month ago it was a full blood test. Im not sure what that consists of tho. It was at his dr office because he has some lumps that they are taking out and his blood work came back fine. And i have had blood work also from having our baby. A year ago.

If your blood work included a blood test for herpes and you were negative, then you could not be a source of herpes. The blood test for herpes is not always included in pregnancy testing, but your doctor may have done so, including if there was any suspicion.

I had a abnormal pap last time so im thinking they tested me for all of that. Because of the abnormal pap and his bumps popped up over night one day it was fine and the next it l[ked like that pic i sent you is this normal or do you think he should go to the dr over it its only been one day today is the first day. And is their anything you could call in the the pharmacy for it or would a&d ointment be ok to put on it what would you recommend we do to help him.

They may have checked the blood test, but it is typically not routinely checked because of an abnormal Pap smear.

As I said above, if he is having difficulty urinating, then it would be more important for him to be seen. If the only symptoms were the skin lesions, it would be OK to try to manage it conservatively, but since it is causing difficulty urinating, it would be better to be seen.

Oh and my blood work came out to be normal after the abnormal pap test was done because when they got the pap test results back in they called me in to do a full blood work to double check. And another thing i forgot to mention was that my husband has always had somewhat of a hard time trying to go pee since i have been with him he hsa always taken a long time to go. But the bumps are red raised itchy and it looks like a pimple that needs to be popped. I thought it could have been from us having sex and being dry and the friction causeing him to be a little raw and then my bacteria in me irritating him around his privite area caused a rash or infection from it being raw and maybe bleeding a little and then not showering after was what i thought may have caused it so now that you know a little more what else do you thibk it could be or be from and what to do to ease the pain or make it go down and would the a&d ointment be ok to put on It for now
also when we had sex i had just come of my period and still had a little blood on him after we got done i wipped mine off with a baby wipe but did not wipe him off after

"Full blood work" means different things in different situations. You would need to check whether it included a herpes blood test.

The additional information does not change what it could be from the appearance on the pictures. Yes, the friction could cause an abrasion that would allow the bacteria to cause an infection, which I said above is one of the possible mechanisms.

You had said above that "He said its hard for him to pee because its bigger than normal" and that is the reason that I said it would be better to be seen. If you are now saying that he is not having any more difficulty than before, then it would not be needing to be seen as urgently.

You can try using warm compresses to ease the pain. It also would be fine to use acetaminophen or ibuprofen orally for the pain. A&D ointment would be OK, as would an antibacterial ointment, such as Neosporin.