Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My husband had the flu in late August 2017. After it cleared…

Customer Question
My husband had the...

My husband had the flu in late August 2017. After it cleared up, he has had a very persistent dry cough for the last four months. He went to his doctor who sent him to a cardiologest

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

My husband had the flu in late August this year. After two weeks of being sick he still had a very hard dry cough. His doctor suggest he see a cardiologist. After a number of tests, he was told by the specialist that his heart was very sound. He is still hacking. He is not a smoker nor has he every been. He doesn't cough up anything and yet he sounds like his head is congested. What can be causing this cough! It's driving him crazy and he has lost at least 10-12 pounds and is tired all the time.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. The first doctor is an internist and has his complete history. He doesn't understand why my husband is coughing. We have scheduled any appointment with an internist who specializes in pulmonary diseases. We have had to wait until he returns from Europe. We will see his on December 21st.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/16/2017
Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

You said that he sounds congested, is it the chest that sounds congested or his sinuses?

Also, is he doing anything to help with the cough, whether could medications or natural remedies?

The sinuses sound congested and sound s like he has a cold.

The most common cause of a persistent cough after a cold or flu is postnasal drip and the fact that he still has congestion would make sense that the sinuses are the likely source. In order to get rid of the congestion and to stop the postnasal drip from constantly creating a cough it would be helpful to do some sinus washing using a Neti Pot or a NeilMed sinus wash kit.

Doig this about 3-4x a day should help a lot. But the cough will likely last another couple of weeks since the mucous accumulates deep in the lungs and even after the mucous stops dripping down there, it takes time for the cough to stop.

He has taken Nyquil , Thermaflu and Robitussin

Would he be able to try the sinus rinsing kits?