Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I want to know if the swab test for hsv 2 is positive and

Hi, I want to know...
Hi, I want to know if the swab test for hsv 2 is positive and the IgG test for hsv 1 & 2 is negeative what does this really mean
JA: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I had chamlydia august 2016
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/16/2017
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified MD

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here.

Just to clarify - you had a swab done on a lesion on your genitals that tested positive for HSV 2, but the bloodwork showed negative IgG for HSV 1 & 2?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Correct

Thank you.

Directly swabbing a lesion is the "gold standard" (ie, best and most accurate) test for HSV 2 so if that was positive, I would believe that.

IgG refers to a type of antibody (a cell that our immune system produces in order to fight off an infection) that is produced months after the initial exposure. If you are negative for IgG, it probably means you were recently exposed to HSV 2 (and that's where you got the infection from), as opposed to having been exposed months ago and then just now having an outbreak.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm looking into some antiviral drugs like astragulus root and echinacea. I don't like the side affects I read about with Valtrax. Furthermore , i hear its expensive for a lifetime supply.The only way you can contract herpes is through sexual contact ? Because i havent had anyone my the hsv 2 region besides my boyfriend. Ive been with him since november of last year.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I havent been with anyone else. ** But do you support the holistic method

I do think Valtrex is the fastest and most efficient way to treat herpes. If you didn't want to take Valtrex there is a generic medication called acyclovir that's been around for decades that people tolerate pretty well too.

You do not necessarily need to take lifetime therapy. You definitely need treatment now to treat whatever outbreak you're having, but you should discuss with your doc about "suppressive treatment" (where you take the medicine every day no matter what) versus "episodic treatment" (where you take the medicine when you're having an outbreak or feeling an outbreak coming on - numbness, tingling etc.

Correct, herpes is transmitted through sexual contact.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Valtrex is the fastest...What if I took its as episodic treatment and then switched over to the holistic way? If my boyfriend isnt experiencing symptoms but he ends up testing positive for antibodies that means he passed it onto me unknowingly right

If your boyfriend has never had an outbreak, then yes, I would assume he was a carrier of HSV and infected you without even realizing he himself had it.

I would definitely recommend taking an antiviral (that would be the Valtrex or acyclovir) for now. I don't know where you're getting your herbs from or how safe they are, or how pure they are, so I can't comment on the safety of such treatment, but in general I would recommend antivirals for sure if you're having an outbreak.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You said you were unable to comment on how safe they were. Isnt there a medical search engine where u could look up the astragulus root as well as the echinacea

I don't know where you're getting your herbs from, but I am assuming you're purchasing them in some sort of dried or encapsulated form. This is an entire industry that is not regulated by the FDA so you actually have no idea what you're getting. When I talk to people about infections I typically stick to FDA-approved therapies that are backed by evidence showing they are effective, so that when I talk about a treatment, I know exactly what you will be getting in it. Obviously you are free to do whatever you're comfortable with, and you have every right to do so. Perhaps you could start a different thread looking for a natural medicine specialist to comment on the herbs?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is that type of specialist on here? If so, I'd have to pay another fee to converse with them?

Honestly I do not know. I typically try to only give opinions about things I am very familiar with and knowledgeable about. If I'm understanding our conversation correctly you are seeking info about astragulus root and echinacea to treat herpes, which is something I am not familiar with as being FDA-approved treatment for this infection and do not recommend, so it is not my place to give advice in that regard.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Fair enough. Where cani find a natural medicine specislist

You could try looking in your area to see if there's a natural medicine specialist.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What does abnormal cells on a pap smear really mean

I would love to help you with a separate Question.

Would like you to start a new thread about abnormal pap smears if you have no further questions about the HSV 2?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What happens when the new thread is created?

I believe you ask a new question (and you can select me, or anyone else, as the Expert, or not specify an Expert) and a new question thread gets started.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Am I required to pay again?

Yes, to be honest, I am very unfamiliar with "that side" of the software, but in general, you pay per question. If you become a member, I believe you do not pay per question but rather per month? Honestly you'd have to check with customer service about the nuts and bolts there; again I just try to offer opinions about my area of expertise.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What interactions does valtrex have? Can you take anti viral drugs with oral birth control and vitamin d

Rare interactions. Fine to take Valtrex with birth control pills and vitamin D, no worries there.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How can I protect my family and friends catching it? Sharing of drinks and forks put them at risk

If your only outbreak has ever been on your genitals (and never on your mouth), you can only pass it through sexual activity.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also, whats your advice or steps for maintaining my sex life with my boyfriend. If he doesn’t have it , we start using condoms but if he does is there anything we should be doing

Avoid sex during active outbreaks, for sure.

Taking suppressive (daily) treatment can reduce the risk of outbreak and reduce the risk of transmission. Unfortunately there is a risk (very low, but not zero) of transmission even when you're not having an active outbreak.

Condoms are actually not great at preventing herpes transmission because it's transmitted from skin to skin, so even just from external genitalia rubbing together.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If thats the case if you don’t have herpes what is your advice to someone just starting to have sex on how not to contract such an infection

I typically tell my patients, do your best, ***** ***** and use condoms, ask your partner to go get tested for STDs before embarking on a new sexual relationship, you go get tested yourself if you've ever been sexually active, but even with the best planning we can't protect ourselves from everything out there. If any problems arise, we address them.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thats a little disheartening. Growing up you here use condoms to the extent youre led to believe you cabt catch anything!! But thank you.Also, how do you deal with feeling like youre tainted or like you shouldnt be in a relationship with this infection??If I decided to have children, Theyd be infected

You're not tainted. This is really common and very treatable. Sometimes people do need therapy to sort out their feelings, but again this isn't your fault and you're not tainted. Even if you were to embark in a new relationship, most partners are very understanding as long as you're up front with them and take steps to protect yourself and them.

Your children won't be infected. We take measures in pregnancy to absolutely minimize the risk of transmitting to your kids. It is very, very rare to transmit herpes to a baby.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok , thanks for the reassurance. Also, I never asked about what a persons life without treatment is like?

Your outbreaks would be more numerous, more severe, and more prolonged if you chose to forego treatment.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What does it mean if my boyfriends exam comes out negative?Is there a swab test for them as well?

We can really only swab someone when they're having an active outbreak, so unless he's having an active outbreak, there's nothing on him to swab. the bloodwork is OK but not great at diagnosing Herpes, as I mentioned very early in our conversation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Has there ever been a case where a swab test for herpes could be identical to something of a swab test of a abcess or such?Basically, how would I know it wasn’t something else

No, the swab test for herpes is a different, unique test. It is very accurate.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could I still be an organ donor or donate blood?Could my boyfriend go years without having an outbreak if he did have it ?How do couples still engage in oral sex especially if one partner stays unaffected?

Honestly with the number and detailed nature of questions you have, I would really, strongly recommend you go in and speak to your doc in person.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does that mean you won’t answer them? I reached out here because none of my doctors (pcp & obgyn) are communicating with me online. I’ll pay my copay to go in and theyre barely interested
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Youve been the most helpful! Money well spent. I just need to get answers. I’m feeling traumatized by the reality that theres no sure fire way to stay clear of this and keep track of time and location or contraction. I would have loved to be free of all Std/sti

I am so sorry to hear this. I would recommend calling your obgyn back.

I have answered over a dozen questions for you and I can tell you have several, several more and so at this point I really do recommend that you go in and speak to your doc in person.

Unfortunately I have not yet been compensated for my time because I only get compensated when you leave a positive rating. I understand that you have several, several more questions however I do need to be compensated for my time in order for this to continue.

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified MD
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. I doubt I’ll get an answer to my last 2 questions. My doctor is not returning my calls or emails but after I’m done mentally dealing I'll be ditching that doctor. He got compensated and is sleeping well while i cry myself to sleep every night.

First, I really would recommend you reach out to a trusted friend to talk this over with. I can tell you're really upset but STDs are far more common than you think (trust me) and sometimes it really helps to talk to someone about this.

I don't see why you couldn't be an organ donor. The herpes is nowhere but in your genitals.

Yes, in theory you can go years without an outbreak, or never ever have an outbreak but still pass it on to someone.

Yes, couples still engage in oral sex. A lot of couples will choose for the affected partner (or both partners) to use daily suppression therapy to minimize the risk of transmission.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thanks Dr.! My boyfriend is upset about the fact that bloodwork could be negative yet theres a possibilty he could have it. But thanks again

Yes. Viruses don't always behave the way they're supposed to!

Dr. J
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified MD