Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

HHA, vs private pay, vs CNA, companion etc. I just called a…

Customer Question
HHA, vs private pay, vs...
HHA, vs private pay, vs CNA, companion etc. I just called a home health agency and they said that their HHA is not allowed to drive my parent to the senior center or to dr appointments or grocery shopping and that i would have to provide the transportation myself. Can you give me some insight into this because it seems to make things very complicated. I had a nice arrangement worked out with my friend who would get my parent ready in the morning, washed, changed, fed and then out for errands at the mall or on some days to the senior center. They moved too far. My parent needs complete assistance toiletting, bathing, dressing and has balance issues lowering themselves and sometimes walking on the sidewalk to prevent a fall over bumps... Arm in arm requires a skilled and sure footed person to know how to prevent a fall. I know a fall is inevitable unless a wheelchair is used and we are trying to use the walker but there is more of a risk because the feet can still trip over a bump and the hand will let go of the walker if that happens. My parent does not have the logic to correct their balance should they trip. Yet excersize is critical to keep the their health as great as it is and their blood from clotting and the muscles from atrophying and the circulation as good as it is.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
I wish i could restructure my question...
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/16/2017
Doctor: Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD replied 8 months ago
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

so what is the question that you would like help with tonight?

Why would the Home Health agency say that their Home Health Aid is able to assist my elderly parent with hands on care with toiletting and also wiping but they are NOT allowed to drive my parent to the senior center or to dr appointments or grocery shopping and that i would have to provide the transportation myself.
They said that ONLY Companions can drive a client. They also said that the Companion who CAN drive my elder family member can NOT help my family member wipe themselves when they use the toilet. My question is WHY?
I feel it is kind of backwards and not very efficient, not very resourceful and almost ignorant to have such a rule? Can you shed some light on why this is arrangement is designed this way in a professional organization? It is surely expensive enough at $22 for a companion and $27 per Health Aid per hour.

a lot has to do with state and federal regulations as well as concerns for liability if they were in a car accident, etc.

Home health agencies focus on delivering specific care that can be reimbursed by health insurances and therefore have some fairly strict criteria on what they can do (and get paid from the insurance company for) and what they can't do.

As far as whether or not companions can provide home services, that is also a state-to-state regulation. Also, there is concern that a companion might start providing services that were considered medical or nursing care, which in most cases, require a state license (even for nursing or medical assistants).

I agree that its an obtuse and confusing system that does not benefit patients, families or even the doctors that care for elderly patients that have to try to arrange these services.

have you talked to the senior center about what services they provide?

The senior center meaning the local senior recreation center?
some senior centers have a list of community resources such as transportation options for seniors.I would also see if the county has a list of resources for seniors as well. Some public transportation programs offer senior vans at low cost for transportation options as well.
The buses take two extra hours of wasted prep time each morning in order for my parent to be ready in time. It stresses them out and everyone else. It seems like a big drain and impractical. I am beginning to think that by seperating each task, that a new organization or medical license or degree has to be created so that an institution has something to teach in the first place. Otherwise there would be no tuition to charge or reason to create a degree or give out a diploma or certify someone.

Did you contact the senior center or county social services?

Doctor: Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago

does this answer your question?

There is a bus that use to come but my parent gets up before the bus parks so they forbid the use of their bus service for that reason.
No... I need to understand what is going on with this situation of getting assistance. Are you willing to spend a bit of time on this thread and i will take that into consideration because there is more going on here that i can not understand.
Sorry, I believe I answered your original question. If you have more questions, please open another question.