Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What causes black diarrhea? Sometimes few other things there…

Customer Question
What causes black diarrhea...

What causes black diarrhea? Sometimes few other things there were small pieces of black floating in the water. Alot of acid in my stomach. Feel like I have the flu

Doctor's Assistant: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?

About a day and a half. There was vomiting all night on the first night.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I take alot of pain meds for unoperable back problems and have to be careful of constipation and I had taken stool softeners.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/15/2017
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 7 months ago

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Usually black stools of any kind are an indication of an upper gastrointestinal bleed as with gastritis or a bleeding peptic ulcer

But when it's accompanied by diarrhea there may also be either an H pylori bacterial stomach infection or a bacterial colon infection like C diff

You need to let your doctor know about this right away and you'll need an exam, blood work and a stool sample since you might need a course of oral antibiotics

Please let me know if you need any more information