Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Are there hair follicle tests for Concerta if the 5 panel…

Are there hair follicle tests...
Are there hair follicle tests for Concerta if the 5 panel drug screen came back negative after regular use of 10 years. Tr mg taken 24 hours before the test given. Drug was then refused
12/15/2017
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Welcome to Ja and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. To simply answer your question, YES Concerta can be tested for in a hair sample. Usually the test will be able to pick up on Concerta use in the last 3 months. They will show up as methamphetamine. A further more specific test would have to be done to determine that it is Concerta which showed up rather than meth. This is a gc/ms test which is ordered when a test comes back as positive.
Do you have anymore questions?
Please remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated for helping you today.
Who can do this testing and what specifically should be asked for?
You would need to ask for a hair drug test with specific gc/ms testing for Concerta. This would be done by your local lab or can be ordered by your doctor. The gc ms or gas chromatography and mass spectrometry test is the test which picks up on methylphenidate and their levels in the given sample.
Do you have anymore questions?
Please remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated for helping you today
Dr. Muneeb Ali